Is this another TO GOOD TO BE TRUE Stove on ebay LOPI for $150.00

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it's true. I paid $25 for mine. We don't value stoves much down here. If I was in Big D then I'd go pick it up. I keep looking for another deal so I can fix it up and resell it. If they're willing to sell it low... I'm willing to buy it.

The seller has 100* feedback, looks legit. Maybe they'll let it go for $100.

did you notice the feedback was mostly on ear rings, shoes and pocket books - could be a hacked account

I generally buy only used stoves (thrifty Scottish streak I guess) and as a result have looked at a lot of used stoves advertised in classified ads, Craigslist, etc (not EBay yet, but not for lack of trying).

Used woodstoves are a safe buy (in my opinion) because you can pretty much see all their working parts and judge their condition well. Much safer than, say, cars or washing machines where damage could be internal and not show up till after the purchase.

The catch is that you really DO have to *see* the stove in person. (Preferably in person wearing gloves and grubby clothes, so you can do some decent poking and prodding inside.) I would never buy one sight unseen. I would say that 3/4 of the stoves I've been to look at have been described as "excellent shape", "almost new", "hardly used", "beautiful", etc etc... but upon inspection are found to have missing pieces, cracked refractory parts, burned or sagged internal metal parts, rust due to outside storage, scratched or cracked glass, smelly stuff that has melted into the warm air passages... the list goes on.

So, don't kick yourself for missing the $150 Lopi. Maybe it was a bargain, maybe it was a lemon. Don't let this discourage you from looking for a used stove at a decent price -- 'cause they are definitely out there -- just be aware that most sellers do not know how to describe the condition of a used stove, and a couple of grainy cellphone photos of the outside are no substitute for seeing it inside and out, in person, before buying.

Eddy

All gone now. The 520/96 was the predecessor to the Liberty - Lopi's largest current stove. I don't think much changed between models, and the 520/96 is EPA rated, I believe, with the secondary burn tubes, etc. A Liberty with the brass door today has to list for at least $2500. Even if that stove needed some parts, it was a steal for a local buyer.

Anyone here do the deed?????

MarkG

Status
Not open for further replies.