Is this Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chinkapin_oak said:
smokinjay said:
local tree service or sawmill to prove its firewood.....lol REALLY!

Backwoods Savage said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay called it Internet ego. Of course I am a bit new at this so I will bow to your superiority....Sir. :roll:

What's wrong, children? don't like being proven wrong, or has the internet gotten the best of you? ;)
Moving on...[/quote

I think you should take that log to market and report back....Then we see what you got! FIREWOOD! Bad advice good Id. Thats It.

The red elm here is not that dark so no way I would have guessed red elm.

chinkapin_oak said:
smokinjay said:

Backwoods Savage said:

Jay called it Internet ego. Of course I am a bit new at this so I will bow to your superiority....Sir. :roll:

What's wrong, children? don't like being proven wrong, or has the internet gotten the best of you? ;)
Moving on...

Wow!!!! Talk about stupid ego!!!! Nice that a new member comes on with that sort of an attitude. Just lets me know to not pay any more attention to anything this guy posts because he is too full of himself. Methinks the Internet has gotten the best of chinkapin. End of rant. Carry on....to others. I will pay you no attention and that is certainly more than you deserve.

Backwoods Savage said:
chinkapin_oak said:
smokinjay said:

Backwoods Savage said:

Moving on...

Wow!!!! Talk about stupid ego!!!! Nice that a new member comes on with that sort of an attitude. Just lets me know to not pay any more attention to anything this guy posts because he is too full of himself. Methinks the Internet has gotten the best of chinkapin. End of rant. Carry on....to others. I will pay you no attention and that is certainly more than you deserve.

So... Is that Elm that I posted pics of? LOL

chinkapin_oak said:
Moving on...

Moving on... Not before a condescending parting-shot though. Classy. FYI, from the time I've been on here I don't see a lot of folks wiping other's noses in it just because they may be correct about a wood I.D. This is a rather rare HDC thread that has slowly decended to the name-calling and "taking-my-ball-&-goin'-home" level. How's about we keep it on a civil note?

FWIW, When I first looked at those pics I thought they looked just like the Elm that I cut & split in the summer, the bark on this is a little more deeply furrowed. I didn't comment before as I've never seen any Walnut, so no way to compare.
Mine was I.D'd by folks here as slippery elm, and seemed confirmed by the leaves, slippery inner bark, smell... everything fit. I have pics on my other computer, will post some. Mine was generally fine to split by hand, but any piece with a crotch, bend or twist made for a mighty battle.
My slippery elm has faded to a much lighter colour after splitting & drying. Should be good burning for you by next year if you get on it. Mine is drying fast.

doubledip said:
Backwoods Savage said:
chinkapin_oak said:
smokinjay said:

Backwoods Savage said:

Moving on...

So... Is that Elm that I posted pics of? LOL
l

lol Yea roll with it.....Your dont rich but beaten the gas man priceless! If you had a hobby guy with an alaskan mill close by it would be Fun. But baring that Firewood...

Not sure if I want to add to this thread, but here is my 2 cents. For elm, a quick character for i.d. check - a small (pocket knife will do) cut of the bark in cross section will yield alternating bands of white and dark ('chocolate and vanilla') bands, while red or slippery elm yields dark and darker bands. This works on young and old trees. Try it sometime just for fun. I think the character is pretty cool looking, and the only reason I posted. For black walnut - if you have access to a twig, make a longitudinal cut that reveals a good section of the pith - the pith is chambered, meaning it looks like a row of holes with walls separating the holes. For a lot of trees, there are some cool, simple characters beyond the bark and sap/heartwood that can help with a good i.d. Obviously some work only if access to part of the whole tree are available. Let's all agree on one thing - trees are cool. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Not sure if I want to add to this thread, but here is my 2 cents. For elm, a quick character for i.d. check - a small (pocket knife will do) cut of the bark in cross section will yield alternating bands of white and dark ('chocolate and vanilla') bands, while red or slippery elm yields dark and darker bands. This works on young and old trees. Try it sometime just for fun. I think the character is pretty cool looking, and the only reason I posted. For black walnut - if you have access to a twig, make a longitudinal cut that reveals a good section of the pith - the pith is chambered, meaning it looks like a row of holes with walls separating the holes. For a lot of trees, there are some cool, simple characters beyond the bark and sap/heartwood that can help with a good i.d. Obviously some work only if access to part of the whole tree are available. Let's all agree on one thing - trees are cool. Cheers!

Very useful info!

Walnut has a pith even in the center of a big log, it's just not as easy to see as if you slice a twig. Butternut has the same pith, not that this wood looks anything like butternut.

So, what is it? pith or no pith? I hate to see a good pissing match come to an end. I would have jumped in on the walnut side, but I've never cut red elm over the internet before...

benjamin said:
Walnut has a pith even in the center of a big log, it's just not as easy to see as if you slice a twig. Butternut has the same pith, not that this wood looks anything like butternut.

So, what is it? pith or no pith? I hate to see a good pissing match come to an end. I would have jumped in on the walnut side, but I've never cut red elm over the internet before...

Lol I like your style either way Firewood.

smokinjay said:
benjamin said:

Lol I like your style either way Firewood.

+1!
I am starting to wish I took some botany or forestry courses back in college. Who knew heating with wood would be this hard, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.