Is This Gas Line Safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom55

Sep 10, 2014
USA
Had a gas insert installed into my wood fireplace.

Never mind the gap I'm taking the picture through (they messed up on the size of the surround…), but is the gas line running within 3" of the insert safe? I was told they couldn't put electrical back there for the fan because it got too hot, but I feel like a gas line back there that close also wouldn't be great…

Attachments

• FP3.png
    FP3.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 242
  • FP1.png
    FP1.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 259
  • FP2.png
    FP2.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 258
I call BS on the electrical for the fan. I've done it a hundred times & never had an incident nor had an install fail inspection.
I DO agree on the flex pipe or CSS. That copper may kink & inhibit gas flow if that unit has to be pulled out.
I take it you have LP fuel...

I call BS on the electrical for the fan. I've done it a hundred times & never had an incident nor had an install fail inspection.
I DO agree on the flex pipe or CSS. That copper may kink & inhibit gas flow if that unit has to be pulled out.
I take it you have LP fuel...

I figured the same thing about the electrical but they told me no. I went with a standing pilot since I really didn't want to run a cord from my fireplace into a wall outlet. Originally I was going to do a wood insert but the hearth/mantle would have had to be completely redone.

I'm curious as to why you presume LP fuel? It is actually natural gas they plumbed in to the basement (about 8' from the fireplace).

I'm surprised they used copper for a NG line. Typically they do black iron to within the last 20-40 inches and then do coated stainless flex for the hookup.

What HE ^ said. Copper is generally used for LP.
USA doesn't really narrow down your location for us.
If you at least listed a state, one of us may know the local
codes & you might get that install done more correctly...

What HE ^ said. Copper is generally used for LP.
USA doesn't really narrow down your location for us.
If you at least listed a state, one of us may know the local
codes & you might get that install done more correctly...

I'm in Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.