Is this hole repairable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Devondavis2

Nov 18, 2023
Colorado
Hi all,

I recently purchased an older home that had the wood burning fireplace converted to gas. I had it inspected to ensure it was safe to convert back to wood. I have removed the gas line but, I don't know how to fix the hole left behind in the metal insert.

17003364336772089845582411729151.jpg

Is this a Zero Clearance fireplace or a heatform style (aka heatilator) metal fireplace?

weld a plate on
Depends on the thickness of the metal and whether this gets covered with a refractory panel. If it's a ZC with sheet metal under refractory then the metal may be thin. In that case pop riveting a patch may be easier and better?

The metal is about 3mm thick and doesn't have refractory panels. I'm not sure if it is Zero Clearance fireplace or a heatform. I'm thinking welding in a patch may be the best option. I'll attach a photo of the exterior.

17003387394038880115679164121131.jpg

It looks like a heatform style with the lower intakes and upper heat register. Welding is fine, so would screwing a small plate in place work.

Reactions: Devondavis2