Is this just a bent 6" Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Locust99

May 11, 2017
Upstate, New York
I am in the process of measuring the inside of my fireplace and I just wanted to make sure this is just a bent 6" liner and not ovalized. Here are some pics if anyone can help me out.

Attachments

• IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 192
Someone smashed it down to get through the damper instead of removing the damper the way they should have. Either that or they crudly ovalized the whole thing it is hard to say from that pic. Regardless it is pretty shotty work and i would question the rest of the install because of that.

What would you recommend to do? Flashing my light up there it looks like you are right about it being smashed probably from the damper. I can't see the damper though to tell whether or not it was removed.

It is very hard to get a picture of it going up, but this is what it looks like . Thank you for your help bholler.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 166
What would you recommend to do? Flashing my light up there it looks like you are right about it being smashed probably from the damper. I can't see the damper though to tell whether or not it was removed.
It actually looks like the damper was removed which makes me think they may have smashed the whole thing. Also that is not the correct adapter for lightwall liner on the bottom. It should have a band clamp not screws.

Looks like it may have ovalized a bit prior to sending it down? If the liner's integrity is still good, most would still re-use it. If it is a 6 inch liner, ovalizing it does cut down a bit of the cross sectional area, which is a no no. If you have any doubt of its integrity, or if you just want to follow code which is the right thing to do, replace it. You'll feel better doing the right thing. New stove, new liner, it makes sense.

I am going to look a stove shop tomorrow, so I will talk to them about it. I have about a 30ish foot chimney though so I don't think I can afford another grand if it's needed. Obviously if it's a safety issue i will have to figure something out. Thanks guys, glad I took the surround off to see what I was working with.

As long as my liner is still intact which I believe it is, is it okay to re use this for a new insert?
I dont know what clearances do you have from the outside of the chimney structure to any combustibles? Is the liner insulated? Have you had the liner scanned to see if any of those kinks caused a hole? Is the new stove manufacturer ok with downsizing from 6"?

Good luck in your quest Locust99, but remember you are inviting fire into your house, treat it respectfully. I would if possible, replace the liner and cost-wise, a 30 ft uninsulated liner will be around 600-700 retail. Of course insulating it would be the best way to go if possible. Remember also, the chimney drives the stove, not vice versa. Take care.

The chimney is an internal chimney so depending on how close the liner is to the bricks, the bricks are 4" thick so at least 4". I have no idea about if the liner is insulated I would say probably not being that they smashed the damn thing. I haven't had the liner scanned, I paid a chimney sweep to clean it and thought he would investigate the liner some , but all the 170$ got me was 30 minutes of cleaning from the bottom. Planning on a blaze king insert as far as the stove.

Hi Locust, understand your frustration. If that was a 6 inch liner that got stuffed down, I do believe u will need an 8 inch liner for the B.King? If so, it would be even more difficult to feed down. The Princess from BK is a 6 inch outlet..

The chimney is an internal chimney so depending on how close the liner is to the bricks, the bricks are 4" thick so at least 4". I have no idea about if the liner is insulated I would say probably not being that they smashed the damn thing. I haven't had the liner scanned, I paid a chimney sweep to clean it and thought he would investigate the liner some , but all the 170$ got me was 30 minutes of cleaning from the bottom. Planning on a blaze king insert as far as the stove.
No if it is an internal chimney you need 2" between the outside of that brick and any combustible material unless the liner is insulated.

He should have inspected more than that for sure.

I dont know if bk allows downsizing or not. I am sure a bk guy will be along to answer that.

Oh i missed the king part yeah that wont work at all.

The ones I'm looking at are only 6" since they are the Inserts. I'll talk to these guys tomorrow about it, thanks for the help I appreciate it.
Ok then disregard my last post.

Bholler as far as seeing if it was insulated there should be another layer, or wrap correct? The inside of the pipe is just as rigid as the outside, so id say It isn't insulated. And since it's in the center I know studs/ joists and framing is definitely right next to the chimney. Burning it with my current stove last winter not knowing it might not be safe, the brick would get fairly warm if I was able to burn 24/7 for a few days

Bholler as far as seeing if it was insulated there should be another layer, or wrap correct? The inside of the pipe is just as rigid as the outside, so id say It isn't insulated. And since it's in the center I know studs/ joists and framing is definitely right next to the chimney. Burning it with my current stove last winter not knowing it might not be safe, the brick would get fairly warm if I was able to burn 24/7 for a few days
Yes the liner is probably not insulated and it really should be

Thanks for the help guys. If it's okay maybe I can have someone pour vermiculite down it to insulate it.
You will probably not have enough room for pour in. You need 1" on all sides of the liner. Which if they ovalized like that you wont have room.

Your options to bring it up to code are

1 pull that liner and replace it with a properly sized and professionally ovalized liner wrapped in insulation.

2 Remove the stainless and old clay liners and install a new 6" round liner.

3 pull the stainless and replace it with preinsulated dura liner if the chimney is straight enough for it.

Yeah it surprises me that they struggled to get it down because my chimney is massive. I'd have to measure it but I'd say 3 foot wide by 4 foot long at least running from the basement all the way about 4 feet past the roof. I do have 1 other flue in it, a clay liner for the gas water heater

Your options to bring it up to code are

1 pull that liner and replace it with a properly sized and professionally ovalized liner wrapped in insulation.

2 Remove the stainless and old clay liners and install a new 6" round liner.

3 pull the stainless and replace it with preinsulated dura liner if the chimney is straight enough for it.

As far as #3 after the smoke shelf there the little bend you see in the pics it goes straight up all the way. I will have to go the safest and affordable route, which the wife will kill me that we need a new flue, but we need to be safe no questions asked and I don't want to give up burning wood!

Reactions: stovelark
Yeah it surprises me that they struggled to get it down because my chimney is massive. I'd have to measure it but I'd say 3 foot wide by 4 foot long at least running from the basement all the way about 4 feet past the roof. I do have 1 other flue in it, a clay liner for the gas water heater
Yes but what size is the clay liner

As far as #3 after the smoke shelf there the little bend you see in the pics it goes straight up all the way. I will have to go the safest and affordable route, which the wife will kill me that we need a new flue, but we need to be safe no questions asked and I don't want to give up burning wood!
Without being onsite i cant say which is a better option