Is this Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
This tree was close to dying when I moved to this house 9 years ago. I cleared all the vines away that were choking it, as it is it along my mow line in the yard. It has pretty white flowers in the Spring. I was mowing/mulching my leaves tonight listening to Pandora, and took my phone out to snap these pics. What might it be?
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I guess the thorny looking things threw me off.

My guess is crabapple. I've never seen thorns on a cherry and definitely not locust. Got this from the 'net: Crabapple trees belong to the genus Malus, a member of the thorny rose family of plants (Rosaceae), hence the numerous thorns on wild species.
Crabapples can be very small, a bit larger than a sweet cherry. Hard to tell the size of the fruit from your photo but it looks like the ones I have, both the way it branches out as well as the fruit. The thorns are a real problem with the tires on my tractor and trailers.

Thanks Doug, I'll go with crabapple, and I'll watch for those thorns too! The fruit is maybe 1/2" in size now

Locust bark has deep furrows.

I had a ton of those when I first got my house.Bulldozed about 50 of them but left a small group for a flower bed around them. They turned out to be plumbs. Little green fruit hard as all get out for a few years then ..... delicious.

+2 for crab (Malus spp.)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Could it be a Hawthorne? Or wild crabapple. Both get a flower.

Black Locust has a compound leaf and Honey Locust is a double-compound leaf (very easy to identify)

Status
Not open for further replies.