Is this monster oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fireview2788 said:
Ask the homeowner if it produced acorns.

f v

Good point.

My wife actually lived next door to this house about 12 years ago when were dating. I remember this tree and how huge it was. I wasn't a wood burner then, so I never really thought about what species it was. We might have some pictures of it with leaves somewhere. I don't remember acorns though. I probably parked under it from time to time back then.

DanCorcoran said:
Well, using the technique of expert concensus, we've so far eliminated bamboo and feline willow.

Almost lost my breakfast on that one!

It looks like a hardwood of some type... my guess would be maple, in which case, I'd be all over that. The rounds would be heavy as lead - get a buddy to help you lift them into your truck/trailer or use machinery if it's available. A hydraulic splitter will make quick work of those and give you lots of nice heat! Nice find!

Look for some leaves... there must be a few lying around nearby.

No hydraulics available. This would a hand job.

Flatbedford said:

Count me in! :cheese:

Flatbedford said:

LMAO!! I couldn't possibly add to that statement LOL!!!

Ray

raybonz said:
Flatbedford said:

LMAO!! I couldn't possibly add to that statement LOL!!!

Ray

Ray you beat me to it. Not gonna touch that one with a 10 ft pole! :lol: ;-P

Geez guys! I'm talking about having no machinery to deal with 4' rounds!

wkpoor said:
I like em that size. That is my specialty but I have a way to put them up and take them home in one piece.
3123 through me off for a moment too.

Please share... I'm getting offers on a lot of rounds that size and they're a bear to load up and get home!

Flatbedford said:

No rental center w/ log splitters nearby? I'm getting a pretty good pile of biguns out back and will need to rent a splitter soon. By the end of the weekend, I should have around 9 cords of big rounds of ash and maple to deal with.

Flatbedford said:

With no limbs on that trunk it is easy splitting. Any Y's and game over.

I could rent a splitter, but there is so much other wood around me that I could easily handle without the costs and hassle of renting equipment. Rental fees take away from the "free" in free heat.

It had a few branches and I think one end is the bottom of a Y. It does not look like an easy split. My limited experience with The Maples has been that they do not split as easy as the Oaks. If it was straight, and had no branches I would be more inclined to go for it.

Flatbedford said:
It had a few branches and I think one end is the bottom of a Y. It does not look like an easy split. My limited experience with The Maples has been that they do not split as easy as the Oaks. If it was straight, and had no branches I would be more inclined to go for it.

Time to see what that 036 is made of.....I done some pretty nasty ash rounds last weekend full of limbs. (But it was still tough on the hydro)

That looks like it could be Red Maple. The straight stuff won't be too bad to split (with a power splitter.) I got a Red this summer...lots of twists and branches. 22-ton power splitter even had a tough go of it. I like the way it burns, though.
Can you just cherry-pick the straight stuff? I'd think the guy would be happy to get rid of whatever he could...

If you have lots of other choices, I say pass. Especially after looking at the second set of pics. Four footers aren't bad to deal with if they are straight, but looking at the other side it's more of a PITA than it's worth, and the one end is the bottom of a nasty crotch. Now if it looked like that white oak under the mill.....

babzog said:
wkpoor said:
I like em that size. That is my specialty but I have a way to put them up and take them home in one piece.
3123 through me off for a moment too.

Please share... I'm getting offers on a lot of rounds that size and they're a bear to load up and get home!
Secret weapon hehehe.

Attachments

• IMG00744-20111006-1348.jpg
    IMG00744-20111006-1348.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 325
wkpoor said:
Secret weapon hehehe.

Well, that's a little much to take on a scrounge unless it's just up the road. LOL

It's a Red Oak no doubt about it!!

babzog said:
wkpoor said:
Secret weapon hehehe.

Well, that's a little much to take on a scrounge unless it's just up the road. LOL
Nope I haul it all over the place. My neighbor hauls an empty trailer and I haul the tractor. I fill his trailer or my dump trailer with logs and home we go. How far I'll got depends on what it is and how much. Mostly I stick to a 25mi radius of the home place. A dump truck with a grapple crane would be the sweetest.

Sure looks like a red oak to me, but if it is hard maple it would be a great score also.

wkpoor said:
babzog said:
wkpoor said:
Secret weapon hehehe.

Nope I haul it all over the place. My neighbor hauls an empty trailer and I haul the tractor. I fill his trailer or my dump trailer with logs and home we go. How far I'll got depends on what it is and how much. Mostly I stick to a 25mi radius of the home place. A dump truck with a grapple crane would be the sweetest.

Well now, that's scrounging in style!

Going by the first and second picture white oak seems right to me... but some of the other pictures the bark seems too dark among other things. Leaf, upper branch, or fruit/nut sample would clear things up.

If I'm in doubt I cut a cookie off the end to what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.