Is this normal: Cold air blowing from two side holes on the Whitfield WP2 Advantage pellet stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kight

Sep 2, 2019
Washington state
Hello everyone,
I have a Whitfield WP2 Advantage pellet stove insert from 1990. The stove has two rectangular holes on the side (see the pictures) that seem to blow semi-warm air out. Is that normal? Even though the holes are close to the door frame, they are not part of the door frame. Air is not leaking from the door gasket. Thank you for your help.
Pellet Stove Insert side 1.jpg
Pellet Stove Insert Side 2.jpg

Last edited:
get some black duct tape and cover them, my 1998 Whit does not have them, is that a fresh air intake or exhaust pipe going out the window? If the door gasket was leaking it would create suction not air blowing out, surprised your old rotary control board still works

Last edited:
Ever think about drilling a hole in your fireplace?, I'm tired of the cold drafts, did you block off the round hole behind the intake tube as seen in this pic?, otherwise it's just using room air

1GBm1k0.jpg

Hello everyone,
I have a Whitfield WP2 Advantage pellet stove insert from 1990. The stove has two rectangular holes on the side (see the pictures) that seem to blow semi-warm air out. Is that normal? Even though the holes are close to the door frame, they are not part of the door frame. Air is not leaking from the door gasket. Thank you for your help.View attachment 302626View attachment 302627
The combustion fan has a second fan blade that appears to "exhaust" the back of the stove. The air from these two ports gets warmer over time, not as quickly as the convection ports, nor as warm/hot. I would not block them off, it will force the air out areas not designed to do so.