Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinngetreu

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2013
North Iowa
I am just getting over a pretty wicked illness. Vomiting, severe aches, the whole nine yards. I'm still not on food a hundred percent yet.
Unfortunately, my kid and wife got it last night too.
We decided to turn on the propane boiler because our wood stack near the stove was running out and no one is well enough to get more. Sad thing is, every time I go to the bathroom I see the vent for the boiler going and it ticks me off. This is the reason for propane backup for crying out loud.

I cant wait till I'm feeling better so I can get more wood. I may have a problem.....

If you look back a bit in the history of the threads you'll see one that I said something like "cold out, plenty of dry wood, yet my stove is silent" in which I talk about the same thing, being so sick that I couldn't use the stove because I just didn't have the strength to do it-in fact I thought I was going to go to the hospital that is how sick I was. I had bonchitis, sinus infection AND the flu so while my spirit wanted to burn wood I just didn't have the power in me to do it, so I hear you. This is one bad-ass virus that hits people in different ways, but does it ever hit-people are floored from it and out sick for days. Several days after I was hammered the wife got it, went to the doctor and was tested positive for the flu, so I guess she got it from me-oops.....

My best advice is just ride it out, bite the bullet, and when you feel well enough to get the stove rolling again go for it; if you push yourself you'll REALLY get run down and get who-knows-what, so rest, drink LOTS of fluids, water preferably and give it time. I know it hurts not to be burning but as they say "take care of yourself and your family now so you can live to burn another day"!!!

Feel better soon, man, I hear ya, IT SUCKS!!!! One bad, bad-ass virus......:mad: :( <>

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sinngetreu, that is not good to hear and I hope all gets well really fast.

On the back-up heat, this is something my wife and I have thought about a little. We have had no backup for well over 30 years but with both of us well into retirement, we wonder if there might come a time it could become difficult for us. Quite naturally, this is one good reason to be way ahead on the wood supply. So, perhaps in the future we may put something in, like a pellet stove. We really do not want to get into the oil or propane battle but if you already have it, then it is another story; you use what you have.

As the saying goes, you got to do what you got to do. We all need the backup heat, for times like this. Get well soon.

Reactions: Sinngetreu
If you look back a bit in the history of the threads you'll see one that I said something like "cold out, plenty of dry wood, yet my stove is silent" in which I talk about the same thing, being so sick that I couldn't use the stove because I just didn't have the strength to do it-in fact I thought I was going to go to the hospital that is how sick I was. I had bonchitis, sinus infection AND the flu so while my spirit wanted to burn wood I just didn't have the power in me to do it, so I hear you. This is one bad-ass virus that hits people in different ways, but does it ever hit-people are floored from it and out sick for days. Several days after I was hammered the wife got it, went to the doctor and was tested positive for the flu, so I guess she got it from me-oops.....

My best advice is just ride it out, bite the bullet, and when you feel well enough to get the stove rolling again go for it; if you push yourself you'll REALLY get run down and get who-knows-what, so rest, drink LOTS of fluids, water preferably and give it time. I know it hurts not to be burning but as they say "take care of yourself and your family now so you can live to burn another day"!!!

Feel better soon, man, I hear ya, IT SUCKS!!!! One bad, bad-ass virus......:mad: :( <>

I do remember that post.
Your right about it being a bad virus! Friday didn't exist. Thankfully, I don't have the bronchitis end of it. Its all in my gut, spine and head. The last time I felt this sick was when I had Pneumonia. This one does kick your butt though. :mad:
Thanks for the reminder, we have been telling ourselves that, but its good to have a reminder when your not feeling right.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman

On the back-up heat, this is something my wife and I have thought about a little. We have had no backup for well over 30 years but with both of us well into retirement, we wonder if there might come a time it could become difficult for us. Quite naturally, this is one good reason to be way ahead on the wood supply. So, perhaps in the future we may put something in, like a pellet stove. We really do not want to get into the oil or propane battle but if you already have it, then it is another story; you use what you have.

When we moved into this house, the propane was the primary heat source. We changed that, but we keep a few gallons in the tank for times like this.
I can honestly say that we didn't want to do it, but its off as soon as I can haul wood again.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Feel better Sinnge. I gotta teach my wife to run the stove too so there's always someone to keep her going.

Feel better brother! I ran into my buddy I sold my pellet stove to last year at Lowes yesterday. He was looking for pellets, nobody around here has them. If they get them they're gone rather quickly. That is the problem I ran into the first and only year I really burned pellets (4 tons of them) and before the CFO allowed the wood stove. I don't miss that problem

Dennis, do you have the place setup to prevent pipes from freezing, when your not there? Your right, get that backup heat done. You don't want heat to be an issue when something prevents you guys from running the stove.

I have no idea how far you are away from my neck of the woods here in Iowa but there has been some creeping crud going on around here too. Couldn't be from this great weather we have been having could it?

Feel better Sinnge. I gotta teach my wife to run the stove too so there's always someone to keep her going.

Thanks, Ive been lucky that way. My wife is a big fan of the stove and has a touch with it too. Its nice to be on the same page that way. Until she burns the one piece of wood that you were saving for yourself. :mad:

Feel better brother! I ran into my buddy I sold my pellet stove to last year at Lowes yesterday. He was looking for pellets, nobody around here has them. If they get them they're gone rather quickly. That is the problem I ran into the first and only year I really burned pellets (4 tons of them) and before the CFO allowed the wood stove. I don't miss that problem

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
I wondered if the pellet thing was open for problems. I don't mind the system, but until you can CSS your own pellets, I'm not sold on it.

I do remember that post.
Your right about it being a bad virus! Friday didn't exist. Thankfully, I don't have the bronchitis end of it. Its all in my gut, spine and head. The last time I felt this sick was when I had Pneumonia. This one does kick your butt though. :mad:
Thanks for the reminder, we have been telling ourselves that, but its good to have a reminder when your not feeling right.

It was a few Thursdays ago when I started to get the postnasal drip and that annoying little "tickle" cough. Others at work had been sick for about two weeks prior, but I thought I could hold off getting it-wrong....despite me taking care of myself, not a drinker or smoker, take lots of vitamins and herbs, some designed to help the immune system, but I still got it. Went to the doctor that Friday night, and although I KNEW something was coming on they didn't see or hear anything, but said "call back if you get bad". Well, when I was at the doctor's office my temp was 97.4; within 2 1/2 hours it was over 100. Stayed that way overnight, called them back, told them I have fever and now am hacking up all kinds of phlegm, they called in an antibiotic that I have taken before for upper respiratory issues, but I felt only about 2% better everyday. Still had the fever into Tuesday so they wanted to see me again; told me to keep taking the antibiotics, rest, drink water and give it more time. Finally went back to work last Thursday, still feel somewhat "off" but I'm a lot better than I was....then like I said the wife got nailed with it Wednesday so who knows maybe I'll get a "second helping" of it.....I hope not!!!!!!

I got every one involved running the stove. Wife, grand kids 13 and 17. The kids have grown up with it. It really helps. Now if I could get them to help with the wood collection.

I have no idea how far you are away from my neck of the woods here in Iowa but there has been some creeping crud going on around here too. Couldn't be from this great weather we have been having could it?

Hey Butcher, I'm north of Algona a bit. Where are you?
If the weather didn't cause it, it certainly isn't helping. I think I may have gotten it from a guy at work. My wife told me to punch him when I see him. I'll probably just give him the stink eye for a day or two. LOL

He loves it, it was the biggest QuadraFire they made at the time. Worked pretty good, the only problem was finding pellets at the end of the season when Old Man Winter didn't want to go away. Well, that and having to pay for pellets when we live on 5 mostly wooded acres surrounded by lots more ;hm

Reactions: Sinngetreu
It was a few Thursdays ago when I started to get the postnasal drip and that annoying little "tickle" cough. Others at work had been sick for about two weeks prior, but I thought I could hold off getting it-wrong....despite me taking care of myself, not a drinker or smoker, take lots of vitamins and herbs, some designed to help the immune system, but I still got it. Went to the doctor that Friday night, and although I KNEW something was coming on they didn't see or hear anything, but said "call back if you get bad". Well, when I was at the doctor's office my temp was 97.4; within 2 1/2 hours it was over 100. Stayed that way overnight, called them back, told them I have fever and now am hacking up all kinds of phlegm, they called in an antibiotic that I have taken before for upper respiratory issues, but I felt only about 2% better everyday. Still had the fever into Tuesday so they wanted to see me again; told me to keep taking the antibiotics, rest, drink water and give it more time. Finally went back to work last Thursday, still feel somewhat "off" but I'm a lot better than I was....then like I said the wife got nailed with it Wednesday so who knows maybe I'll get a "second helping" of it.....I hope not!!!!!!

Thats horrible. I'll say a prayer or send good vibes or whatever is allowed on this forum!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Hey Butcher, I'm north of Algona a bit. Where are you?
If the weather didn't cause it, it certainly isn't helping. I think I may have gotten it from a guy at work. My wife told me to punch him when I see him. I'll probably just give him the stink eye for a day or two. LOL
North of Waterloo a ways. Algona huh? Party at the rally any? As far as the co worker, just sneeze in his lunch box and walk away.

North of Waterloo a ways. Algona huh? Party at the rally any? As far as the co worker, just sneeze in his lunch box and walk away.

Its hard not to! LOL
Lunch box? Bwahaaaaa!

This is why I keep wood right outside my basement door. I try not to touch it until really big snows or sickness. If I'm sick my wife can run the stove, and my kids are getting old enough that they can start fires, but if all of us are laid up I guess it's back to the propane. Hope you feel better soon!

This is why I keep wood right outside my basement door. I try not to touch it until really big snows or sickness. If I'm sick my wife can run the stove, and my kids are getting old enough that they can start fires, but if all of us are laid up I guess it's back to the propane. Hope you feel better soon!

Darn good idea. I'll put that on the to do list for next year. Thank you.

I always like to keep a supply of pallet wood in the basement, It's nice not to have to go outside if it is bad weather out, or the zombies are on the prowl. No issues with bugs either.
palletwood.JPG

Sinngetreu,
I didn't really see the question in your original post, but I think I understand what you're asking. Yes, it is normal for the vent on the propane boiler to emit vapors when the propane boiler is turned on. Its great to read that you've been burning wood so long that you forgot how the propane burner works. I hope you can get back to forgetting again soon.

Sinngetreu,
I didn't really see the question in your original post, but I think I understand what you're asking. Yes, it is normal for the vent on the propane boiler to emit vapors when the propane boiler is turned on. Its great to read that you've been burning wood so long that you forgot how the propane burner works. I hope you can get back to forgetting again soon.

Ha Ha Ha Ok, that wasn't really the original thought. I'm sure I wasn't really clear.
I think I was getting at the feeling of being attached to wood burning so much that seeing the propane on bothered me.

Status
Not open for further replies.