Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Stove burns great, and I love it.

After the first couple of burns though, I've noticed that if I turn the damper all the way down, it kills the fire pretty quickly. I don't think any air gets to the fire.

At the lowest level before I kill it, I can hear the woosh of the draft coming from the stovepipe behind the stove, when I turn it all the way down, that noise also dies, and it is dead silent.

The logs turn to embers (no more flames), and then there are small gas explosions that occur in the secondary burn chamber. These happen every 30 to 45 seconds and go down in frequency with time. At this stage, I typically turn the damper back up slightly and she starts humming again.

Is this normal? If my stove isn't getting air, I'm worried about it backpuffing, or smoldering and smoke getting into the home. Is this a valid concern?

It might be weak draft or damp wood. Or maybe it's just too warm for good draft? What's the flue setup on the stove?

BeGreen said:
It might be weak draft or damp wood. Or maybe it's just too warm for good draft? What's the flue setup on the stove?
Out the back 10" , 90 degrees up a 14' insulated flex liner.

Temp out here has been around 50-55 at night.... Maybe that is the problem.

For now, I just imagine that closing down the baffle fully is a bad idea?

Yes, it could be that when temps get in the 30's she draws just fine. In the meantime, a bit more air should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.