Is this ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Adamgeerdes

Dec 6, 2020
Wellsburg, IA
The inside of my double wall pipe appears to be bent slightly outward at a seam a few feet up. I can almost see behind it if I shine the light just right. Should I be worried about this, or can I keep on using it?

PXL_20220123_010348632~2.jpg

I'd be more concerned about scraping away that last batch of sote.

Reactions: Adamgeerdes
I'd be more concerned about scraping away that last batch of sote.
I think my brush is what pulled back those edges. Got the rest from the bottom. I had been cleaning it from the top but maybe that was a bad idea? Also, are you saying those curled edges are nothing to be concerned about? I tapped them back as flat as I could with a piece of wood.

It doesn't look like showstopper to me.

Last edited:
Thank you. Just don't want to burn my house down over something I could replace for a lot cheaper. I knew someone here would know.
Yeah not a big deal at this point but I would switch to a rotary cleaner so the brush doesn't snag an edge again.

Soot eater