Is this really true; re: heatilator liner???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So after tons of information gathering, I had decided on a insulated rigid pipe, double pipe. The installer called and told me that he does not do double pipes and he cannot put in a double wall or insulated pipe into my chimney anyway, because heatilator chimney with two flues kind of twist around each other going up the chimney. he said they have too many bends for rigid pipe. He said it is going to need to be a flex single pipe. No room for insulation. He has not seen the chimney but he said he had done heatilators, before.

Explain.....
You have a masonry chimney with what size flue? and are lining it with a 6"?

Some masonry chimneys do have bends in them, and with these it is better to use flex. Nothing wrong with flex. But there are various grades and thicknesses. You get what you pay for - some installers just buy the cheapest they can find.

It is true that insulation can be tough to install on many jobs, especially when flue tiles are rectangular. Insulation is less important if you flue is interior and/or if you are in a relatively temperate climate.

Internal chimney, but don't know how big the flue is. I am assuming both flues are 6". How do I measure them, without getting on a very slick shake roof. I live up on Mt Hood, in Oregon. This winter it was in the 20's pretty often, mostly in the 30's. Some snow and ice. Can I still ask for insulated pipe, or is it unrealistic to ask for it?

With internal chimney, you should be fine - or more than fine. The only reason you would need insulation in that chimney would be if the chimney itself was deficient or did not have a decent liner in it now. If chimney is safe to use now, it should work that much better and safer with liner.

If you are gonna spend extra money, ask about the type of flex liner (brand/model).

Some of the best is Ventinox, which is welded instead of pressed together - also heavier than some. Some popular brands such as Homesaver make 3 or 4 grades, so you might be able to get something beside bottom-of-the-line.

If insulation is desired, they can usually use a poured insulation which is put in after the liner by pouring a slurry. Again, your interior chimney and local weather conditions make me think you will be OK as is.

woodsie8 said:
He has not seen the chimney but he said he had done heatilators, before.

We have put TONS of wood and gas insert into the heat heatilator heatform units and I have never EVER seen one that has two flues that twist around each other. WTH is he talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.