Is this safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrammyPammy

Oct 17, 2023
Middle TN
I keep looking at the legs on my new Alderlea T6 and wondering if it is safe for all the weight of the stove, logs, etc to rest on just these 4 screws. I didn’t notice it until after the installers left. Each leg is about .5” above the pad.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GrammyPammy
The feet are fine that’s what the leveling screws are for. Just verify you have the proper rear clearance. 9” for single wall 7.5 for double. It looks close but I can’t tell how close
Thanks. It’s just that all the weight is resting on those 4 screws, as none of the metal of the legs touches the pad. So no leveling - they are carrying it all. And good eye on distances! It is 8” from the back of the metal to the wall and on page 13 of the Operating and Installation Instructions it notes 7.5” with a double wall connector. Should I put a heat shield on the wall anyway?

Yeah that doesn’t look right to me. Those screws look too high almost like they were trying to elevate the stove for some reason? Is your hearth level?

My Vista has the same thing. My installer leveled my stove with these. They do look too high.

Yeah that doesn’t look right to me. Those screws look too high almost like they were trying to elevate the stove for some reason? Is your hearth level?
The previous chimney was used and the new stove plus connections were not quite high enough. I wondered whether I should see about having a new, higher pad installed. Or flat stones added underneath the feet. The hearth is level, as is the stove. But the weight is not distributed over a wider area, it’s concentrated on those screws and the piece of pad beneath them

Weight is distributed on each corner. My stove is the same way just not has high with weight on pad below. My pad is a corner steel plate pad. My wife wanted something almost flush to our wood floor.

Well look at it this way.. They are leveling screws, so he stove is designed to sit on those. So as far as the weight, I do not see an issue. What might be an issue is that you have less surface area to prevent the stove from moving if it gets hit hard enough. Seriously doubt something would hit with enough force to move a stove, so you are probably OK.

My understanding is that they are for mobile home installs that require the stove to be bolted down and leveling if required. If the hearth is level, then I would not use them. This is our T6, it looks better IMO without them.

IMG_4043.jpg

There already is a heatshield on the back of the stove and no need for a wall shield if the clearance is honored or exceeded.

I think he said he needed them since his connections were not high enough.

I have my T5 like BG’s. I always assumed they were for mobile home installs too.

My understanding is that they are for mobile home installs that require the stove to be bolted down and leveling if required. If the hearth is level, then I would not use them. This is our T6, it looks better IMO without them.

View attachment 318221

There already is a heatshield on the back of the stove and no need for a wall shield if the clearance is honored or exceeded.
That makes sense, thanks. I don’t want to take a chance but yes, we make the clearance by .5”!
I think he said he needed them since his connections were not high enough.
”She” said she needed them! Grammy as in Grandma, lol!

Those are indeed leveling screws. My All Nighter has them. Same 3/8" threaded rod on them little pads. My stove weighs about 450lbs, if I remember correctly. In no way are my leveling screws made to secure to a mobile home. Stove is rated to heat 2800sq ft. My stove would roast out every inhabitant in a mobile home. Your stove looks of decent size too, from the pic.

If the pipe comes off the stove vertically, then a piece of pipe that slips inside another piece should be used. It’s called a slip or telescoping piece if you will. This allows infinite vertical reach. The pipe can be adjusted to the stove rather than using the levelers. That’s not what they are intended to be used for, they are just to allow for an uneven hearth.

If the pipe comes off the stove vertically, then a piece of pipe that slips inside another piece should be used. It’s called a slip or telescoping piece if you will. This allows infinite vertical reach. The pipe can be adjusted to the stove rather than using the levelers. That’s not what they are intended to be used for, they are just to allow for an uneven hearth.
thanks! I need to get in touch with the dealer and get this taken care of asap!

That makes sense, thanks. I don’t want to take a chance but yes, we make the clearance by .5”!

”She” said she needed them! Grammy as in Grandma, lol!
Sorry! 😔

It's a top-vented stove. webby3650's suggestion is the best option. We have an adjustable (telescoping) stove pipe that makes fitting the stovepipe easy. Sometimes this just takes replacing the lower section of the stovepipe.

Can you post a picture of the whole stove pipe?

It's a top-vented stove. webby3650's suggestion is the best option. We have an adjustable (telescoping) stove pipe that makes fitting the stovepipe easy. Sometimes this just takes replacing the lower section of the stovepipe.

Can you post a picture of the whole stove pipe?
Will do! Thanks