Is this sounds the auger?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
Hello, about 2 years ago I had an issue with my stove and they ended up replacing the auger. Ever since then the sound in the video has been coming out of the stove. This happens throughout the day at different intervals. If you listen to the video you can hear the sound a couple of times. I thought it would go away but it hasn't. If it is the auger, is there something I can do to stop it or is it just the way it is?

Thanks

Video

I ran a grinder rig for years off and on. I never heard that. What I can tell you from my extensive automotive experience his that’s not the sound of a grinder going around it’s too fast. To me it sounds like a high speed shaft rubbing not the grinder itself. That tells me it’s more likely coming from whatever motor is used to drive whatever assembly turns your auger. What you’re hearing now I’m almost sure is a shaft rubbing on something at several hundred rpm’s? I hope that makes some sense to you

One thing I would suggest is buying a cheap automotive stethoscope. You can get one for 20 bucks or less on Amazon or most automotive parts stores. When you use that that sound you’re hearing will change entirely. You’ll will know quite obviously where is the grinding is coming from when you get it near that casting that it’s man is it.It will go from what you’re hearing there often the distance for a high-pitched screaming squeal thats mistakable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree it does sound like something rubbing at high speed. Sounds like a die grinder on sheet metal to me. At intervals similar to an auger motor. I agree it sounds like the auger motor which runs much faster than the auger. Can you run it without a panel on, enough to look around and see if anything rubs when the auger turns? The motor might shift a bit when it cycles.

I can try it. I tried listening last year but it didn't happen as often so it was tough. I'll try again this year. Pull it out as far as I can and see what it sounds like. If it is the motor, is it a sign of it going bad it just running against something?

I finally had a chance to look at this and it's almost impossible to have the stove running and pinpoint the sound. This is an Enviro Milan, which is an insert and I can't pull it out far enough because of the exhaust. I can tell that it's coming from the bottom of the auger assembly so it may very well be the motor. I disconnected the stove, pulled it all the way out and cleaned everything and looked around and it doesn't seem like anything is rubbing on the outside, so it may be something within the motor but I can' tell.

Since it doesn't seem like I'll be able to fix this. Is this an issue, or will the motor just die eventually, overheat etc. Is this something I just live with? What's the harm if it is the motor rubbing against something.