Is this stove any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can't really tell from one pic...with no info about manufacturer and date of mfg and a pic that looks a little intentionally fuzzy taken from several feet back i'd be skeptical.

edit - looks like they are new stoves sorry i thought it was a classified.

no info on epa rating etc...looks like a box of fire to me. If you want a parlor stove and you're buying new, get one that has secondary burn - no reason to buy old technology if you're not getting a bonafide antique IMHO

Looks to be real old school (lift out lids and all). If you are looking for a long term relationship with wood heat I would probably suggest that you avoid stoves of this type.

Don't get me wrong, thats a neat old stove, but there is more than one reason that they don't make that design anymore (or at least not in any volume)

meathead said:
can't really tell from one pic...with no info about manufacturer and date of mfg and a pic that looks a little intentionally fuzzy taken from several feet back i'd be skeptical.

no info on epa rating etc...looks like a box of fire to me. If you want a parlor stove and you're buying new, get one that has secondary burn - no reason to buy old technology if you're not getting a bonafide antique IMHO

Is there any companies that make this sort of parlor stove with 2ndary combustion?

I just called the company that sells these- made in China- why am I not suprised. do the Chinese make safe stoves?

4- finger- Pauly said:
Is this stove any good?

I doubt it. $700 is what one might expect to pay for a small-medium, very plain budget stove. A good stove with the outward look of that stove would start in the $2000 range.

Not to mention that it is a cast iron stove that weighs 182 pounds. Its either a tiny stove or paper thin.

Run away

4- finger- Pauly said:
meathead said:

Is there any companies that make this sort of parlor stove with 2ndary combustion?

Yeah search around, there are both companies that make new ones and companies that refurb and retro fit antiques. Like Big Redd said though - they aint cheap

I would take a pass on this . . . looks pretty from the pic . . . but I think you would be more happy with newer tech and a stove manufacturer with a longer history with reliablity as part of that equation.

I'd bet this is a dressed up Vogelzang boxwood stove (China, as well), which can be had for $89 on sale. Run from this.

Edit: I just looked at rest of site - The BX26E and BX42E are Voglezang boxwood stoves. The BX26E (for $395) is the one that can be had on sale for $89 at Harbor Freight Tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.