Is this the proper way to clean your boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be ok for that type of boiler, but on a downdraft gasser I don't clean anything but some some loose ash out of the top chamber. most the heat is exchanged in the back threw the fire tubes, and those are what I clean. the creosote that does form in the top chamber burns off now and then.

Thanks. I have a CB Classic model and the previous owner probably didn't do too much. The walls look like they have a glaze on them which I assume is from a lot of creosote.

on those types of boilers the heat is transferred threw the firebox so I bet it does increase efficiency. Would I want to do it ? NO

I have an Econoburn 200 and i never clean the wood chamber,i just have to clean the flue tubes once in a while.If i happen to burn some wood that isn't dry it will show up on the tubes and cleaning interval will be shortened.
Today i saw an Econoburn 300 that is in the same town as me.They used to have a Central boiler and are using their Econoburn as if it was a CB.Their doors are out of adjustment and can't be closed properly so smoke pours out of them,there is creosote loaded water dripping from the chimney,and when you open the bottom door you aren't greeted by a nice roaring flame.The bottom chamber is a mess of ash and creosote and about a minute after opening the bottom door the smoke stops and a flame begins to start to sputter to life and gets stronger as you leave the door open.I was amazed that i could actually move the turbulator handle.
I am going to see if i can take some pictures to post on here so people can see what an improperly run gassifier can result in.They are talking about putting the CB back online.I will offer them a few bucks for the Econoburn if it becomes available.I am going to replace my waste oil burner as my primary heat in my shop,the regs are getting crazy.I figure it my take a few days to chisel the gunk out of the Econoburn but it will be worth it to rescue it from it life of neglect.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.