Is This White Oak OR ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying pignut hickory. I don't see any maple leaves on the ground, but I DO see elm and hickory leaves there. Hickory will spalt just like maple, and hickory usually has the darker heartwood, just as your pics show. Definately not oak, doesn't have the right end grain....

I will get pics of splits
Probably won't see any leaves from that tree ,it was cut down 2 years ago

OK , here is the splits, U be the judge

DSCI0426.JPGDSCI0427.JPGDSCI0428.JPGDSCI0429.JPG
DSCI0431.JPG

Some kind of Maple with a slight curl to the grain.Could be nice jewelry boxes or other small stuff.

Yeah, I'm with Thistle ...looks like red or black maple. Not silver or hard maple. Nonetheless, great firewood!

I had no doubt it was maple :)
Ya , some times I cringe when tossing nice wood in the fire.
Can't find pics of boxes, this lazy susan deal ,I made from pallet wood

View attachment 86017

Attachments

• Best.jpg
    Best.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 129
Kiln dried stock
I actually had to use this cane when I snapped my ACL

DSCI0111.JPGDSCI0117.JPG

Are there still two different trees shown in this post? I agree the close ups are maple. Are they the first tree or the second?

Post 27 same tree different parts
The very first pic in the thread , I guess is ash, different tree

The maple looks like some stuff that I have been splitting for kindling. Had no clue what it was. Thanks for the pics and the ID guys. If I am right about it being the same as what I am using, this maple is light and burns quick.

90 percent sure ,what I have is RED MAPLE

red-maple-bark

red-maple-bark-400.jpg

Energy content per air dried full cord.pdf.pngEnergy content per air dried full cord2.pdf.png

The maple looks like some stuff that I have been splitting for kindling. Had no clue what it was. Thanks for the pics and the ID guys. If I am right about it being the same as what I am using, this maple is light and burns quick.
You may have Silver Maple

All this wood ID is killing me. Glad I can figure out red oak, white oak, and locust just from looking at the trees while they are standing. Poplar I can figure out once it is split. I can also figure out what a maple is based upon the leaf shapes. However, I have no clue how to figure out if it is a silver maple, red maple, sugar maple, or some other type of maple for that matter. How the heck do you guys do this? Maybe I will be proficient at it like you guys after years and years of cutting, splitting, and stacking. Once I become one with the wood and the woodzen master.

All this wood ID is killing me. Glad I can figure out red oak, white oak, and locust just from looking at the trees while they are standing. Poplar I can figure out once it is split. I can also figure out what a maple is based upon the leaf shapes. However, I have no clue how to figure out if it is a silver maple, red maple, sugar maple, or some other type of maple for that matter. How the heck do you guys do this? Maybe I will be proficient at it like you guys after years and years of cutting, splitting, and stacking. Once I become one with the wood and the woodzen master.

This is something that cannot be learned fast. Take your time. Learn to ID 2 or 3 types every year. Learn the ones that are in your area and don't worry about those in someone else's area.

Status
Not open for further replies.