Is This White Oak OR ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Title

IMG_20121218_161352.jpg

ASH

Reactions: ScotO
I was going to say or ash ;lol But doesn't look like other ash I have
So there is what , white ash, yellow , or red ash ???
Edit: 12 Species of Ash Trees
Edit: more than 60 varieties of Ash trees

Would have to guess white ash given the wood color. I see ash bark, clean grain and clean splits. May be poplar too, I always have issues differentiating those two. No discolored core on these, but they may be too small to show that yet.

Not

Would have to guess white ash given the wood color. I see ash bark, clean grain and clean splits. May be poplar too, I always have issues differentiating those two. No discolored core on these, but they may be too small to show that yet.

Prob Ash ,was very dry, IDK

!!! :eek: Is it Poplar ???

its ash, just stacked a cord and half

IMG_7542.JPG

Reactions: albert1029
NEXT

Is this Maple, OR

IMG_20121218_131750.jpgIMG_20121218_141752.jpg

Not sure the leaves laying there look a little like hickory....

Yeah, when in doubt on oak, just use your nose. I wasn't doubting that what I was splitting today was white oak. However, when I got home with the truckload, the smell was unmistakable from it. What a beautiful smell. Got a cord of it today and will probably get a cord of it toward the end of the week. Really awesome scrounge.

Reactions: ScotO
After you handle wood enough you'll be able to tell oak from the weight

The maple, I thought it must be maple, cuz of the spalting, and color, I split some, oh ya maple
The ash is much lighter than other ash I have seen.
Only got a little of ash , I will look for some more ,It was laying buy the Maple , and small

Your maple looks like Red Oak to me. Why is the center of the maple reddish? i think it is a red maple oak with a very wide and slighty rotted sapwood.

Edit: I just noticed that in the reply above I wrote maple instead of oak. I fixed it and I think the wood is Red Oak.

Your maple looks like Red Oak to me. Why is the center of the maple reddish? i think it is a red maple with a very wide and slighty rotted sapwood.
I think it is red maple, It is definitely maple, and the bark isn't shaggy like sugar maple

Your maple looks like Red Oak to me. Why is the center of the maple reddish? i think it is a red maple oak with a very wide and slighty rotted sapwood.

Edit: I just noticed that in the reply above I wrote maple instead of oak. I fixed it and I think the wood is Red Oak.
2nd that.

OK the first pic in thread ,I guess is ash, the pic in post 10 is maple, not oak :)

Status
Not open for further replies.