Is this worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
Is this big knotty gnarly old holly tree worth my time? Ive never burned holly before and its pretty nasty looking what do yall think should I take it?

IMAG0142.jpgIMAG0143.jpg

How desperate for more wood are you? What are the other species you are burning? Those points would all factor in my decision if I were you.

How desperate for more wood are you? What are the other species you are burning? Those points would all factor in my decision if I were you.
The guy that has it is going to cut it down and said I can have it if I want it. I just dont know anything about it. Im looking at it and wondering if I should even bother with it Im currently burning maple, gum, pine, oak and just about anything else that I can get. I guess really the biggest question I have is is holly any good for burning and how well does it split?

Thanks Grisu I think Ill take it and see how it works out. I how long it will take to dry out.

The Holly that I had here in PA. over the years was nice burning wood-real white inside, clean looking. I would take it and mix it in with your other stuff; I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. It seemed like a kind of drier wood the few times that I had it, so it may not take a really long time to dry but your's might be different there.

I'd take it!

Reactions: mattjm1017
Being that high in BTUs , I would be sure to grab it up fast

Holly burns just fine, so I would go for it. Or rather... you do not want that nasty looking gnarly wood, so give it to me! ;)

I would not say that it has more BTUs than oak (or even black locust) though. Sweeps is way off on the BTU ratings for many species of firewood IMO. Holly burns about like apple or Doug fir for me. And they have Doug fir way too low... it should be around 19 MBTU, the same as or just below larch. :rolleyes:

Never had it here but that is unique how that tree has grown.

Reactions: mattjm1017
It looks like it would be tough to split by hand. Do you have a hydraulic?

The whitest wood known.Pretty dense & very fine textured.Years ago was used as 'imitation ivory' in before modern plastics were invented.Ask around at local home center/hardware stores.Quite possibly local woodcarvers,wood turners,other artists would pay for some chunks of that.I sure wood if I lived closer.....

I have 2 Holly bushes in front yard (male & female) less than 3 ft tall.They dont get as big up north here & I'd be long gone before they were big enough to harvest anyway lol

I have one of those 5 ton electric splitters its pretty darn tough but if it cant hack it I can get a 20 splitter for a weekend. I'm definitely sold on this tree I want to see how it does. Thistle thanks for that bit of info very interesting there's a guy not to far from me that does woodworking maybe Ill see if he would like some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.