Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sparko1969

Oct 29, 2018
CT
I have recently purchased a used Isle Royale. Got it home and hooked up. I gave it a trial run a few nights ago. I am not happy with the way the ash pan door latches. Doesn’t seem like it’s compressing the ash door gasket at all. I can see some grinder marks on the ash pan box.
Can someone post a picture of the latch. And the general area where it latches. Thanks.

I can't help with the latch, but pull the ash pan out and see if there is densely packed ash in the back of the ash pan cavity. Buildup there can move the ash pan a little too far forward pushing it up against the door. Take a stiff tool like a poker or long screwdriver and clean it out.

Thanks. I checked behind the pan and it’s clear. It doesn’t feel like the latch is tight and secure when I close and lock the ash pan door.

Try it without the pan in to eliminate that. Close a dollar bill in the door and see if it can be pulled out easily. It should have pretty good resistance.

I fixed my ash pan issue. In short, I had to take a grinder to the inside of the ash pan door. There is a lip to to inside of the gasket that was interfering with the latched ability to be fully adjusted. I ground down that lip. Allowing me to adjust the latch enough to make a firm seal. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Yawiney