It finally happened, a spider got me.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'll be honest if I see a spider of any kind I try my best to not disturb it. I will honestly save wolf spiders and jumping spiders to prevent them from getting stepped on while I'm working. Wolf and jumping spiders, along with many other spiders, are cannibals. And they will actually eat brown recluse and black widow spiders.

Spiders do not bite us for fun, they do it for their protection if they feel threatened. I honestly prefer to see a spider in my house then a fly. I think I care so much about spiders because they eat the flying bastard insects that hate so so much.

Ok I'm done. Be safe everyone.
Wow--I thought I was the only one who did this (besides my wife). In fact just today we were moving some wood in a wheelbarrow and she said, "hey watch out for that wolf spider, don't hurt it." Fortunately brown recluses and black widows are rare in my area. I still wear gloves, but I have a definite respect for the spider population.

Reactions: warno
^^^This, spray all edges, corners of building as well as bases of wood piles with bifenthrin, it will kill all the spiders.

^^^This, spray all edges, corners of building as well as bases of wood piles with bifenthrin, it will kill all the spiders.

I think I would rather take my chances with the spiders. Bifenthrin is toxic to many things besides spiders. Bees, fish, frogs, pets, even humans. Be careful that you don't cause a bigger problem than the one you're trying to solve. Plus it kills all the harmless spiders.

Reactions: Prof
My job lets me get PPE at work for home use so I use these "no cut" gloves that are Kevlar reinforced rubber on the palms and fingers. The back is cotton. They are "disposable", but I can use them for a couple weeks each pair before they are too beat up. They work great for splitting since they have good grip and are nice and thin so you can feel what is going on.

I think I would rather take my chances with the spiders. Bifenthrin is toxic to many things besides spiders. Bees, fish, frogs, pets, even humans. Be careful that you don't cause a bigger problem than the one you're trying to solve. Plus it kills all the harmless spiders.

I know that, but my wife is mortally afraid of spiders. I'm careful to not spray it where honey bees, pets, or other critters can get to. I know it kills harmless spiders, as we have very few in Michigan. But even harmless spiders can cause problems with equipment when they clog things with webs, right now my barn is overrun by them. My neighbor broads sprays the stuff on his lawn for mosquitos, and it does the trick, but I told him he's taking a heavy toll on the honey bees and beneficial bugs as well.

Reactions: larryjbjr