It took a little while, but it's inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

Minister of Fire
Apr 11, 2006
Ashfield, MA
I wish I had pictures of getting the stove into the house, but I don't. Overall, it was not too bad, with a few pieces of PVC pipe, I got it out of the truck, and through the living room by myself without a scratch. I would not recommend the method, but you can move a 475# stove by yourself if you take the time to think about how you have to move it.

Attachments

• Stove.JPG
    Stove.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 996
Harley said:
I wish I had pictures of getting the stove into the house, but I don't. Overall, it was not too bad, with a few pieces of PVC pipe, I got it out of the truck, and through the living room by myself without a scratch. I would not recommend the method, but you can move a 475# stove by yourself if you take the time to think about how you have to move it.

Oh that stove is gonna look nice in that corner. Congrats!

BrotherBart said:
Harley said:

Oh that stove is gonna look nice in that corner. Congrats!

I'll second that. That is gonna be a sweet look when your done. I can understand. I got my Osburn in by myself and it only weighs 315, and that was a biatch.

I can't imagine doing a soapstone stove.

I just went through the same thing. That stove looks GREAT! That was my 2nd choice. Keep the pics comming. I'm trying to get some of mine posted.

You can move a lot of weight if you use your head. Rolling heavy objects with flat bottoms on 1/2 or 3/4-inch steel pipes is another good method. Sliding heavy objects like cast iron radiators or wood stoves across a smooth floor is easy if you set them on a heavy throw rug or piece of carpet. And if you lay down planks, you can scoot really heavy objects like boilers out of truck beds, down stairways and across basement floors with a pry bar or piece of 2x4.

You got the right idea, Harley. Beautiful stove. Do you have enough clearance to vent it through the fireplace, or is some masonry work in your future?

He should be ok. It can convert to a rear vent pretty easy. That's how mine is vented and it actually adds alittle more efficiency to the unit.

I can vouch for the weight as well. It took 4 of us (not small guys) to pull this thing up 1 flight of stairs.

It's a beautiful stove, and I know you will be very very happy with it!!!

Thanks, guys. I think I made the right choice. Don is correct, it will have to be vented out the rear of the stove, but there may be some minor masonry work to get the liner in - hopefully just taking out the whole damper assembly - a 6" pipe will not fit through it - it's pretty narrow, but I'll let the mason take care of that. If he has to do any brick removal, or anything unusual, I'll put up some more pictures.

And I think I will enlist the help of some friends to take it off the pallet, and set into place... not taking any chances with it.

I would use a roll out car jack. I would position the stove on the pallet as close to the final position as I could.
I then would remove the center board of the and cut out the center space of the pallet. Using a car jack I would
roll in to the center and jack up the stove pull out the pallet lower the jack and bingo its done

Mountains can be moved with brains over braun but sometimes you need both

When I put the Morso in the house I had no help available and I think it was for the best, it forced me to think more about the project and with a few 4X4s, plywood and some masonite it went into place without a hitch.

Nice looking stove Harley......... you are going to wait for a cold night to fire it off right ;)

Probably not, babalu..... :cheese: The day the liner is finished (which may be a little while) will probably be the day it gets "test" fired. I'm sure the windows will be open that day! Besides, you have to burn off that "new stove smell" before it gets too cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.