It's 70 outside...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prezes13

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2014
Connecticut
This morning it was 62 in the house wife wanted a fire, even tough I wanted one badly I had to say no. However she kind a had me going so I did a little one outside. image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: n3pro
I don't understand why you don't want a fire in the house when 1) it's 62 and 2) the wife is asking for it.

I'll burn tonight and it's 68 in the house.

Are you saving wood for winter, afraid you don't have enough?

I just can't have a fire going and then be turning ac on. It's a mental thing for me. Usually I don't have fire in until turkey day.

I feel about the same. Past few weeks there's been a few mornings cool enough (low 50's) to attempt a small fire, but it's more than warm enough by the afternoon to justify the A/C. Just can't fire up the stove with the A/C and pool still open. A few more weeks and this cooler weather will take hold and I'll get to break in a new stove.

You have to run A/C when it's 70 outside?! Sounds like you need better insulation and/or air-sealing.

Reactions: Highbeam
I feel about the same. Past few weeks there's been a few mornings cool enough (low 50's) to attempt a small fire, but it's more than warm enough by the afternoon to justify the A/C. Just can't fire up the stove with the A/C and pool still open. A few more weeks and this cooler weather will take hold and I'll get to break in a new stove.
Your situation is unique though. If it's break-in, then now is the time. You want to be able to leave all the windows wide open during break-in due to the fumes, probably don't want to do that when it's gotten cold outside.

Still got plenty of time for break the break ins. Getting in the upper 80's pretty quick during the day. Looking like a bit cooler weather a bit more suited for open windows and break in fires here in a week or so hopefully. Personally I love a cool morning. 55-65 degrees outside is perfect running weather I think and I'm out the door and on the road first thing before breakfast. Love this time of year.

You have to run A/C when it's 70 outside?! Sounds like you need better insulation and/or air-sealing.
No what I meant nights are cool but days are still warm like today 80s tomorow humid.

Funny how you NE folks have such cold winters but they are so short. We were low 30s this morning and yes it will get up to 70 today or tomorrow but that is peak temperature and with good insulation it won't warm the house up. We are in our 9 month burning season already. Daily fires, not constant burning, but without a heart source the inside temps will never get out of the 60s.

Im stoked for the end of the week, rain Friday with a high of 55deg, looks like I'll be lighting the BK up, and cooking chili in the crock pot.

Still got plenty of time for break the break ins. Getting in the upper 80's pretty quick during the day. Looking like a bit cooler weather a bit more suited for open windows and break in fires here in a week or so hopefully. Personally I love a cool morning. 55-65 degrees outside is perfect running weather I think and I'm out the door and on the road first thing before breakfast. Love this time of year.
I didn't see your location - yeah 80s then you definately don't want any heat coming off of the stove yet.
I agree, love the cool mornings. Looking forward to some cool days too so I can burn !

I have descent insulation in my house it's a 1994 2x6 construction but I have my windows open all the time, so house cools off at night but warms up during the day.

Solar gain is taking care of things here, it was 40 out 2 nights ago house cooled down to 67 but gets back up to 70ish during the day. No burning yet.

I don't understand why you don't want a fire in the house when 1) it's 62 and 2) the wife is asking for it.

I'll burn tonight and it's 68 in the house.

Are you saving wood for winter, afraid you don't have enough?
How cold did you get last night? Did you drop into the 30's? We were at 45F and I almost started a fire.

How cold did you get last night? Did you drop into the 30's? We were at 45F and I almost started a fire.

33 on the truck's temp display at 7 am. All roofs and even the hot tub cover covered in frost. House was 74 inside due to a half load (12 burn) in the BK. We sat out in the hot tub for two hours watching the eclipse come and go last night!

Nice, cold but the hot tub sounds like a great way to watch the eclipse.

Funny how you NE folks have such cold winters but they are so short. We were low 30s this morning and yes it will get up to 70 today or tomorrow but that is peak temperature and with good insulation it won't warm the house up. We are in our 9 month burning season already. Daily fires, not constant burning, but without a heart source the inside temps will never get out of the 60s.

I dont know if our winters are really any shorter than yours... Its already been dipping into the 40s and a couple time 30s at night.

I think the difference might be that because of our colder climate houses up here are insulated better so we dont need as much heat in the shoulder season. In fact it always amazes me when I hear folks with modern well insulated houses lighting up when its in the 50s.. In this ancient cave I dont bother until it drops into the 40s for daytime highs... anything above that and the stove will just bake us out.

Yesterday the high just hit 50. Last night it dropped to 35. When I woke up it was still 66F in the living room, no heat. I just fired up the boiler for 30 minute to take the edge off.

Yesterday the high just hit 50. Last night it dropped to 35. When I woke up it was still 66F in the living room, no heat. I just fired up the boiler for 30 minute to take the edge off.

That describes our shoulder season but rather than fire up the boiler, we burn a small fire.

If you figure that the ground is 50 degrees, and the air is 50 or less then just what is it that is keeping your house warm? Good insulation would limit solar gains from a warm roof and good windows keep the sun out. You must have a source of heat in there. Some waste heat from something.

If we bake in the oven, no fire is needed that night.

That describes our shoulder season but rather than fire up the boiler, we burn a small fire.

If you figure that the ground is 50 degrees, and the air is 50 or less then just what is it that is keeping your house warm? Good insulation would limit solar gains from a warm roof and good windows keep the sun out. You must have a source of heat in there. Some waste heat from something.

If we bake in the oven, no fire is needed that night.

ixnay on the insulation and windows. Solar gain heats this place up quite nicely.

I think that you cannot limit a solar gain even with the best of the windows unless you have some kind of anti reflecting coating on them. If you don't want a solar gain you need shades or something to block sun rays. But I am not an expert all I know that in the summer I keep shades on and it helps a lot, in the winter I have them off and on nice sunny day house stays warm even if it's cold outside.

Reactions: beatlefan
Cool at night,,warm in the day? I don't even think about a real fire till it is consistently cold. That is what central heating is for.

53F today, 53F tonight, 53F tomorrow.

Reactions: Cynnergy
Chilly and rainy all day and I wasn't paying attention. Started a fire in the pellet basket at sundown and it is 53 outside and the temp is supposed to go up tonight so it is 75 in the joint now. Oh well, it was a pretty fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.