It's Killin' Me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:p The Sub I live in was a Farm some 100 years ago, I'd bet theres more Black Locust than any other hard woods around....

Last year I got hooked up with an old farm that has plenty of Black Locust, and they like me and gave me hunting rights, about a 28 mile roundtrip.

I just clean up the dead trees from fence rows mostly Cherry and BL,

Reactions: ScotO
Last year I got hooked up with an old farm that has plenty of Black Locust, and they like me and gave me hunting rights, about a 28 mile roundtrip.

I just clean up the dead trees from fence rows mostly Cherry and BL,
same thing with my neighbor. Between him and his brother they've got close to 400 acres. Lots of elm, white oak and red oak, sugar maple and soft maple, black cherry, ash......He's given me exclusive use of the entire farm for firewood rights. We make maple syrup off of the property, and there's lots of good deer hunting, snowmobiling, a huge hill (I mean HUGE) on the one field where the whole town goes sled riding.

Reactions: cptoneleg
I just stopped and asked this Farmer if I could clean up some of those dead BL on his fence rows, and it only got Better. That old farm has some log cabins on it really neat, just gotta ask.

Reactions: Lewiston and ScotO
$10-$20 investment from Bailey's or Forestry Supply. Always have one in the truck.
Oh, I've got a hard hat . But, I don't think walking into a heavy construction area sans insurance would gain me a hardy welcome . :)

Just passed a road widening project earlier and saw black locust and Norway maple cut and lying on the side of the road. I'll have to swing by tomorrow and see if they'd mind if I got that wood out of their way. Norway maple is the only hard maple we get down here and it isn't bad at all. BL speaks for itself. Looked like pickup load at least.

Reactions: ScotO
I just stopped and asked this Farmer if I could clean up some of those dead BL on his fence rows, and it only got Better. That old farm has some log cabins on it really neat, just gotta ask.
Very cool!

BL is my favorite! It's ok shoulder wood. I split it small and use small loads. I don't bother scrounging junk wood for shoulder season. I am always going for the most BTU per me hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.