Its not like you can find seasoned Black Locust on the side of the road in March...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
....but, thankyou God, I did. There was some standing dead in the woods behind a golf course that I passed everyday for a month. I suppose the groundskeepers dropped it before it fell on a passing car. "Must be rotten", I said to myself. "Why else would someone have just LEFT it laying there?!"
Well,today I decided to turn the old Ranger around and check it out. Here is pic of a fresh split. Ringing up @ 14% MC. Highest was at the very base (about 23" diameter)....20.5%.....I'll throw that on next years pile.
There were only 3 large pieces that I could lift into the truck b/f dark. I'll cut up the rest tomorrow and bring it home....at least 1/2 cord,maybe a bit more. I can use it,too. The woodshed is running low.
Can't count on it happening often, but I'm happy to have some good fortune now and then. ;-P

Attachments

• Black locust 1.jpg
    Black locust 1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 368
wood-fan-atic said:
"Must be rotten", I said to myself. "Why else would someone have just LEFT it laying there?!"

Are you just going to leave us hanging!? Why did the golf course/grounds keeper leave it there?

Sounds like a promising score.......

Oh,sorry......I guess I forgot to mention that this score is in a woodsy, VERY EXPENSIVE residential area. If a tree fell on someones lawn around here and it magically fell apart into rounds or split firewood, the homeowners would pick up a phone and pay someone to "remove to debris from their property".
My saw is in my truck,and on the way home from work today, I will buck up the rest of the tree and happily go on my merry way.

P.S.--- Thoughts and prayers to all affected by yesterdays natural disaster.

Now that is a hell of a find !!!

Shawn

Black locust is pretty dry fresh. When milling it I wax it very quick or it will check out over night.

nsfd95 said:
Anything east of Riverhead is mine....LOL..

It's yours,brother. I'm from Levittown, so anything right of Rt.110 is "out east" to me. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.