I've been sharpening chains wrong all these years.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I finally realized the fastest and sharpest chain comes from just a plain old round file with no file holder. I tried it "free hand" with no guide for the first time and it was the best and quickest sharpening ever.

The file jigs tends to get in the way and prevents the file from fully contacting the cutting edge of the tooth. I've tried different style jigs and it always took a long time and the entire edge never really got sharp and completely shiny like when I get it done professionally.

I can't believe how much time I wasted all these years before I figured this out!

I finally realized the fastest and sharpest chain comes from just a plain old round file with no file holder. I tried it "free hand" with no guide for the first time and it was the best and quickest sharpening ever.

The file jigs tends to get in the way and prevents the file from fully contacting the cutting edge of the tooth. I've tried different style jigs and it always took a long time and the entire edge never really got sharp and completely shiny like when I get it done professionally.

I can't believe how much time I wasted all these years before I figured this out!

You should try a Dremel

Stihl and Huskavarna sell a branded hand sharpening tool by Pferd that does the raker and edge in a pass.
You get the correct size for your specific chain. Simple. Accurate. Someone here posted details awhile ago.
No need for anything motorized. With a stump vise the chain can be touched up in the field.

Yeah it's easy for folks to get caught up in the widgets thing, I too went many years with a couple different methods only to find free handed with a round file to get best results. And it is the quickest too.

I have a Husky rig that works like that, the only problem is the grit from the file has slowly wore down a grove on the guide roller so the angle is off a bit.

Last edited:
I've got a buddy that owns a very old saw that has a built in sharpening stone. He lowers the stone to the spinning chain and in a few seconds he is back cutting. He said it was a Baracuda chain I think and an old Poulan saw.