I’m guessing this is a problem....looking for some input please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saewoody

Feeling the Heat
Feb 15, 2017
CT
I noticed a glow last night in between my Enviro Kodiak 1700 wood stove insert and the surround. Didn’t seem right, and it is something I have have never noticed in the last 5 or so years of owning it. I’m assuming this should be repaired ASAP. Just looking for some input or a way to at least get through the winter, if possible. Is there some sort of temporary sealer I can put around the connection point. I did not do the install myself (I’ve either gotten too old, or too smart to go on my roof anymore...I’m not sure which!)
Thanks in advance.
IMG_5869.JPG
IMG_5867.JPG
IMG_5868.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Think you're gonna have to pull the surround so you can see what's really going on.

Reactions: saewoody
I'd pull the insert and check out the flue collar, looks like some rope gasket failed, look in your manual at parts # 47 & 48, looks like a simple fix as long as nothing is cracked.

Just start with taking the surround off and post some more pics after that.

Impossible to say without more visual data.

I'd agree that it probably requires attention, though.

My liner glows red if I have an attention lapse during start-up. Because I didn't install the surround, I can see it. I bet lots of folks have this occuring, and don't know it because the surround blocks it.

Reactions: Highbeam
Think you're gonna have to pull the surround so you can see what's really going on.

That’s what I was figuring. Hopefully it won’t look too bad at nice I pull the surround. Thanks for the response!

I'd pull the insert and check out the flue collar, looks like some rope gasket failed, look in your manual at parts # 47 & 48, looks like a simple fix as long as nothing is cracked.

Hopefully that will be the case and it won’t be too bad. Thanks for the response!

Hopefully that will be the case and it won’t be too bad. Thanks for the response!

Just take the surround off first.
Pulling the insert is major surgery that will likely require getting on the roof and lifting the chimney liner. Let's not jump to that conclusion yet!

Got the surround off. Nothing like four extra screws the manual doesn’t show. Looks like I will be needing to take off this top panel that the blower pushes air through. Of course there appears that be screws along the back of it too. So I figure if I disconnect the liner from the stove, I can then pull the stove out far enough to get to the rear screws so that I can pull this upper panel off (it looks like the manual calls it the “heat efficiency shield”).
IMG_5870.JPG
IMG_5871.JPG
IMG_5872.JPG
IMG_5873.JPG

Or am I looking at this all wrong? If I disconnect the liner from the stove, maybe I can work from above this heat shield through the hole? Thoughts? Thanks again.

Got the surround off. Nothing like four extra screws the manual doesn’t show. Looks like I will be needing to take off this top panel that the blower pushes air through. Of course there appears that be screws along the back of it too. So I figure if I disconnect the liner from the stove, I can then pull the stove out far enough to get to the rear screws so that I can pull this upper panel off (it looks like the manual calls it the “heat efficiency shield”).View attachment 219182View attachment 219183View attachment 219184View attachment 219185

Or am I looking at this all wrong? If I disconnect the liner from the stove, maybe I can work from above this heat shield through the hole? Thoughts? Thanks again.

I think you are just getting the flue too hot and glowing the pipe. See my previous post.

You do want to do what you are thinking about unless absolutely necessary. It's not nearly as easy as you are thinking. You will have to get on the roof and lift the liner first before you can move the insert. And probably no reason to do that.

This looks like a good install. Burn the stove like you did before and then take the picture.

You just need to shut it down sooner so you are not over heating your stove pipe.

I think you are just getting the flue too hot and glowing the pipe. See my previous post.

You do want to do what you are thinking about unless absolutely necessary. It's not nearly as easy as you are thinking. You will have to get on the roof and lift the liner first before you can move the insert. And probably no reason to do that.

This looks like a good install. Burn the stove like you did before and then take the picture.

You just need to shut it down sooner so you are not over heating your stove pipe.

If you zoom in on the pics, and look in between the top two layers of the stove (hopefully that makes sense) you can see there is a hole. View attachment 219186

Oh yes, now I see.

This looks like a bad or failed weld on the stove socket.

Beyond my level of expertise to help with that. Apologies.

Seems like this might require a new weld, and would require removing the stove jacket first.

I don't think this is good news.

How old is the stove?

Oh yes, now I see.

This looks like a bad or failed weld on the stove socket.

Beyond my level of expertise to help with that. Apologies.

Seems like this might require a new weld, and would require removing the stove jacket first.

I don't think this is good news.

How old is the stove?

I think kennyp2339 was right on the money. Looks like a failed gasket. Hopefully I can just disconnect the liner from the stove to get at it. Don’t think there is any need to go up on the roof to do that. Thanks for hanging in there with me on this. It’s very appreciated.

This is the time to put in that block off plate you've been dreaming of.

This is the time to put in that block off plate you've been dreaming of.

Good point. I looked into the chimney, and there definitely isn’t one. Will be a good chance to clean out the blower too. I think I’ll be down several days because it looks like I’ll have to order the gasket.

IMG_20171230_142654073.jpg

I think Enviro is an SBI stove, no?

The socket is welded on the inside of the firebox on mine, probably a different model year. You can see what mine looks like. No weld on the outside.

I still think it's a weld, but perhaps you can plug it with some gasketing or furnace cement.

That is right at the business end of your flue, hottest, hardest working part of the stove. Any gasket material will fail at that location, which is why I believe it's a weld.

I'd send this picture to the service team at SBI.

Oh, and by the way, it was a real pain in the ass getting that picture!

View attachment 219215

I think Enviro is an SBI stove, no?

The socket is welded on the inside of the firebox on mine, probably a different model year. You can see what mine looks like. No weld on the outside.

I still think it's a weld, but perhaps you can plug it with some gasketing or furnace cement.

That is right at the business end of your flue, hottest, hardest working part of the stove. Any gasket material will fail at that location, which is why I believe it's a weld.

I'd send this picture to the service team at SBI.

Oh, and by the way, it was a real pain in the ass getting that picture!

Thanks for the input and your clear dedication to the cause[emoji16]! The paperwork says Enviro is a Sherwood Industries Company. Not sure If that is the same as SBI. The pic you took does look very similar to mine. My collar is not welded. It is basically clamped down with tightening bolts. I got some gasket material from a local stove store that I can cut to the right size, but my new concern is that the stove seems to have a “dip” right in the middle that leads right to that collar. That would explain why the gasket failed where it did.
IMG_5875.JPG
IMG_5879.JPG
IMG_5883.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Can you turn the flue collar so one of the clamps is securing at the low spot? That would help close the gap and pull that area as tight as possible.

On another note from one of your first pictures the gasket almost looks like it was stuffed in from the outside. Could it have been that way (warped) when it was installed and that's how the installer got it to work?

Can you turn the flue collar so one of the clamps is securing at the low spot? That would help close the gap and pull that area as tight as possible.

On another note from one of your first pictures the gasket almost looks like it was stuffed in from the outside. Could it have been that way (warped) when it was installed and that's how the installer got it to work?
I'm thinking that also, if the stove was ran ultra hard to cause a bow in the top plate, then the liner would be very discolored and the outside thin jacket would also have a sag, plus I bet loosening those bolts would be a pain. I do like the idea of spin the collar to the low point, I would also add rope gasket material at the low spot to get you buy, I would then on Tuesday call the manufacture and make a warranty claim , I think they have a 5 or 10 year firebox warranty.

Good thoughts. Very possible about original install. Thanks for the input. I did end getting the blower cleaned! Lots of dust caked in there!

Reactions: jatoxico
I'm thinking that also, if the stove was ran ultra hard to cause a bow in the top plate, then the liner would be very discolored and the outside thin jacket would also have a sag, plus I bet loosening those bolts would be a pain. I do like the idea of spin the collar to the low point, I would also add rope gasket material at the low spot to get you buy, I would then on Tuesday call the manufacture and make a warranty claim , I think they have a 5 or 10 year firebox warranty.

Right on the money again. There is no sag on the thin outer jacket. I think the warranty is 7 years. I’ll call on Tuesday. Thanks for all the input.

Thanks for the input and your clear dedication to the cause[emoji16]! The paperwork says Enviro is a Sherwood Industries Company. Not sure If that is the same as SBI. The pic you took does look very similar to mine. My collar is not welded. It is basically clamped down with tightening bolts. I got some gasket material from a local stove store that I can cut to the right size, but my new concern is that the stove seems to have a “dip” right in the middle that leads right to that collar. That would explain why the gasket failed where it did. View attachment 219236View attachment 219237View attachment 219238View attachment 219239
I am eating crow, I was clearly mistaken in my recollections.

Hopefully the company will make good on the warranty claim, should you need to proceed with that.

One more example of one of my mantras: Often wrong, but never in doubt!

You are a gentleman, Woody. Good luck.

Right on the money again. There is no sag on the thin outer jacket. I think the warranty is 7 years. I’ll call on Tuesday. Thanks for all the input.

As Kenny said it doesn't look abused or overfired. Possibly a shipping thing or somebody stood on it.

I am eating crow, I was clearly mistaken in my recollections.

Hopefully the company will make good on the warranty claim, should you need to proceed with that.

One more example of one of my mantras: Often wrong, but never in doubt!

You are a gentleman, Woody. Good luck.

Nice mantra![emoji106] Thanks for all your help today. I will update the post when I talk to the company.

PS: good luck with the snowblower. You shouldn’t have any issues.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Ok, so I have the stove back together. I’ll give a shout out to Airglow Energy Center in Meriden for setting me up with some gasket blanks yesterday so that I could get this stove back in operation. The stock part calls for 1/4” thick gasket material, so I just doubled up the 1/8” that was available. I also put an extra piece in where the dip in the stove top was to fill the gap. My logic is that once the gasket material is sandwiched in between the stove top and flue collar it should mesh enough to act as one gasket. Hopefully I’m right. The guys at stove store seemed to think it wouldn’t be an issue. I was not able to put the clamp at the low spot as some of you suggested. The back wall of the stove is not deep enough to allow the rear clamp to seat properly. So I put it back the way it was. I’m going to fire it up in a few minutes, right after I post this. Here’s a few pics of what I ended up with. There’s no doubt I learned a lot about my stove through this process. Thanks for all the input!

IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5894.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG