Jøtul Sebago IPI - Doesn't Heat all that Well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I switched from a Valor Madrona (LP - 26000 btu input / Energuide 70% ) to a Jøtul Sebago 400DV IPI (LP 32000 btu input / Energuide 69%). The Madrona produced more heat and a hotter heat than the Sebago. How can that be - with the 6000 btu difference?

Does anyone know why that would be? Could there be something in the Sebago setup that should be adjusted so it produces more heat?

If everything else is the same, Venting, location, LP tank pressure, the only reason I can give for
less heat is that the Sebago gas valve regulator is not completely opening to the HIGH position...

If everything else is the same, Venting, location, LP tank pressure, the only reason I can give for
less heat is that the Sebago gas valve regulator is not completely opening to the HIGH position...

Thanks Bob. Is there a way to check if the Sebago gas valve regulator is not completely opening to the HIGH position? If it was not on high now, and was adjusted to be on high, would the flame look higher after the adjustment?

It should be set using a manometer. You will need to find out what the highest pressure is at the outlet port (burner side) of the valve.
Does this unit have a remote to set it to high or is the Hi-Lo adjustment done using a manual knob?

It should be set using a manometer. You will need to find out what the highest pressure is at the outlet port (burner side) of the valve.
Does this unit have a remote to set it to high or is the Hi-Lo adjustment done using a manual knob?

There is a remote that can set the flame 5 different heights.

It was probably set up incorrectly. Needs to be calibrated to the HIGHEST setting & then stepped down.
Like I posted earlier, you will need a manometer to do that.

It was probably set up incorrectly. Needs to be calibrated to the HIGHEST setting & then stepped down.
Like I posted earlier, you will need a manometer to do that.

Is a manometer something that the installer should have? (The installer is actually a heating and air con company that happens to sell gas & wood stoves.)

Yes. See the diagram below...

upload_2018-2-16_19-2-19.png

Here is the manual that I found it in:

http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-10100 Instruction GAS Service Manual.pdf

Thanks Bob. I'll pass it along to the installer. Do you think Jøtul is pretty accurate when they state that the Sebago is a 32000 btu unit? If the manometer says things are set correctly, would there be any other reason the heater doesn't seem to heat as well as a lesser model (Madrona)?

I sold, serviced & installed the Jotuls for 11+ years... I thought the GF400
Sebago was the nicest of the Jotul Gas Units & it threw nice heat
for the size of the firebox.
If you went up in BTU input, you should be getting more heat.
I guess I'd question your installers, but I'd probably try not to upset them too much.
If they're also the ones who are gonna perform your required servicing.
Maybe they just missed a step. I just really think you should be warmer than you were,
& an adjustment can be made to make it so.
Good Luck...

I will ask them if they have the manometer, if not we'll take about getting one. It does seem strange that it's not as warm as the Madrona was. If they've already done the meter, then I'm not sure what's what.