JA Roby hey, clancey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Roby Stove turned out real good especially on the first four burns and I enjoyed it and even heated a pot of water on top of it and some soup that I ate but---one night I decided to burn some wood and ended up with a real hard time trying to get it started and the wood seemed to be smoking up the stove a whole lot so I opened it and got a lot of smoke on my arms and face --the wood was kilned dried from NC and I used a large piece with a moisture reading of 12 but it was larger than the rest but I could not get it started even with smaller pieces and they all smoked out when I opened up the door to the stove so I just let it burn the way it wanted to burn to go out.

The next day I went to the hospital and I had "sumac poison" and my arms and and my face and eyes were half closed and it took me a real long time to "get well". I gave the wood in the wood shed away telling them about my experience but they could see as well. I had my stove guy clean the stove really well and had him check everything and I have not had a fire in it since. It just sits there looking pretty for a emergency. I bought some of the store wood like Environmental Logs and the saw dust kind I think it is called Pine Mountain just for a emergency and have those stored about two weeks worth I believe.

This has been disappointing for me and I really was getting into this for the fire was so nice and watching it was wonderful...After this I am afraid to burn anything again but that night was a misty wet night and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I suffered greatly and it took a long time to heal..But the stove ran real well and some day I will attempt it again with the store bought type of wood. I like my stove its not perfect and I do not like the handle and lock on the outside of it but when it burned it did well but the glass got dirty and it was suppose to be air cleaned or something--lol.. That's my experience. clancey

that's to bad,i find them an easy syove to operate.i have the big brother to yours never had a problem like that.for the door i found if you keep the latch facing staight out then push door closed then latch it's not as tuff to close

Reactions: clancey
Yea your right but I just think it is a matter of getting use to how to open the door but I really think that they could have a better design with it. I do like my stove.. Opening and closing doors one should not have to think about it--just do it...lol clancey