Pacific Energy Vista vs. JA Roby Polaris

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cabindero

Nov 10, 2023
Cariboo, BC
New log cabin build in central BC, looking for a woodstove. We've narrowed it down to a PE Vista or JA Roby Polaris.

• Stove will go in the living room at the front prow. 1,000 sqft main floor with high ceilings and a 450 sqft loft.
  • Being a new build and the codes changing, this place is extremely well insulated.
  • This will not be a primary heating source, we have a furnace and heat pump for that. We grew up with wood stoves and miss their heat and the joy of sitting around the fire, so this is more for Aesthetics and those cold nights where you enjoy the woodstove heat.
  • We may eventually airbnb this place, so an idiot proof stove is an asset
  • Most of our burning wood will be well seasoned.
From what I can tell, these stoves are very similar. I was surprised to see the Roby has better efficiency and emissions specs despite being $1k cheaper, though we do like the look of the vista a bit more.

We had basically decided on the PE (largely because we were sold on a 'better flame' aesthetic due to the way their air baffles work(?)) but we are at the end of our build, and as these things go - the budget is shot. So if we'll be just as happy with the Roby, I'd sure like to save that $1k.

Appreciate any and all input, cheers!

I would not rent out a place with a wood stove. There’s a learning curve to operating them right and the consequences of operating them wrong are great.

Reactions: Wildflush
IMO there is no idiot proof stoves. We own the PE Vista and love it. We heat a well insulated New England cape 1,900 sqft with it and I believe it could heat even larger if needed. You need to reduce the air in increments and has great secondary combustion at temp. Nice glass and viewing. Smaller 1.6 fire box so no overnight burns but I was ok with that. My installer and retailer said that PE has a good reputation.

Yes, for idiot proof, stick to a thermostat on an electric heater or heatpump.

If the budget is shot, look at the Drolet DecoNano or Spark, or the True North TN20.

As begreen mentioned True North TN20 is a good option and is made by PE and is less money and the fire box is a little larger than the Vista @ 2.0 cu. ft. 18” long length. If you got the extra cash get the leg option on either model instead of the pedestal. Looks so much better.

New log cabin build in central BC, looking for a woodstove. We've narrowed it down to a PE Vista or JA Roby Polaris.

• Stove will go in the living room at the front prow. 1,000 sqft main floor with high ceilings and a 450 sqft loft.
  • Being a new build and the codes changing, this place is extremely well insulated.
  • This will not be a primary heating source, we have a furnace and heat pump for that. We grew up with wood stoves and miss their heat and the joy of sitting around the fire, so this is more for Aesthetics and those cold nights where you enjoy the woodstove heat.
  • We may eventually airbnb this place, so an idiot proof stove is an asset
  • Most of our burning wood will be well seasoned.
From what I can tell, these stoves are very similar. I was surprised to see the Roby has better efficiency and emissions specs despite being $1k cheaper, though we do like the look of the vista a bit more.

We had basically decided on the PE (largely because we were sold on a 'better flame' aesthetic due to the way their air baffles work(?)) but we are at the end of our build, and as these things go - the budget is shot. So if we'll be just as happy with the Roby, I'd sure like to save that $1k.

Appreciate any and all input, cheers!
PE for sure, given those choices.

Congratulations! That should work out well.