Jam time in my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattN

Oct 27, 2018
Middlesex Massachusetts
I have been having Jamming issues that do not match what others have posted that I have seen. I have pellets getting trapped in the upper auger.
I thought at first it was a fluke, but it is happening every time I run the stove with pellets I purchased.
The stove ran wonderfully with the previous owners pellets (I just don't know what they were)
This stove is new to me, and I am concerned spending $700 on 2 tons of pellets, for them to not run in my stove.
Image below.
IMG_20181027_101949.jpg
Should this never happen? Are the pellets a bad match for my stove? is my auger motor not strong enough to break through the pellets?
Basic Info:
Pellets: Green Supreme
Stove: Warnock Hersey 25-PVDP
IMG_20181027_115150.jpg

They look like they are long pellets. How old is the stove/auger motor, it could be weak.

Those are some long-azzed pellets - unless your hands are the size of a small child's. I don't know how strong the auger motor is, but I would think that having to cut thru long pieces all day long would not be good for it.

It should be able to cut a few but if your inventory is all that big i see you going through alot of auger motors/gear boxs. I know that not what you want to hear. Maybe get some pails and a pait mixer for a drill and beat the hell out of them to a useable size.

I have been having Jamming issues that do not match what others have posted that I have seen. I have pellets getting trapped in the upper auger.
I'm confused by your photo. That looks like the lower end of the auger, where it's pulling the pellets from the bin. If so, then for those pellets to be stuck, is the auger running backwards? Because to pull the pellets up, it would have to be turning in the direction that would release them, not trap them there.

Whit i think it is the upper auger on a esw25 pdv or pdvc. It draws horizontally and drops into bottom feed auger.

This has been helpful, thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. You are correct ssyko; my stove has a horizontal drop from the upper to lower auger.
Does anyone have recommendations for shorter pellets, are softwood pellets better?

I know my pdvc likes softwoods, burns hotter and cleaner but they also burn faster. The quad dont care it just says feed me. Lol

Those are some long-azzed pellets - unless your hands are the size of a small child's. I don't know how strong the auger motor is, but I would think that having to cut thru long pieces all day long would not be good for it.

I think we’re looking at tiny little hands or else some real manly sized pellets. If those aren’t tiny hands, then as boogie said, your auger will take a whoopin.

I ran a few bags of Green Supremes. They're long pellets. Much longer than my Energex pellets.

I have the pdvc stove. If you have a ton, I'd start dropping the bags into the garage floor to break them up. Might want to sift them to get the dust out after.

My guess is the auger should break some of them easily, they are not actual logs!
I have never watched to see what it does.