Jay's bathroom Q of the Day#2: shelf????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I goofed on my initial bathtub setting and had to move my bathtub away from the back wall about 1.5 inches and will be building a small shelf in the back wall after I frame the gap with 2x4s... I was thinking perhaps instead of just tiling on top of the shelf which will be pretty small, I could perhaps buy/get some kind of waterproof shelf for the horizontal part... Any recommendations on what I can look for? can the hardware stores actually cut a 60"ish wide piece of granite or marble only 2" wide? is that too small? Or what are my options. My initial thought was just to tile the top part of the shelf but thinking perhaps the granite/marble/?? ideal would look really nice and would allow a lot of room for shampoo storage*

Jay

*not for me, I use shampoo and a bar of soap. :)

I have had some small off cuts on a counter I had once (granite). They were probably around 1.5" wide. So I am sure it could be done.

You should seal the granite/marble. Not that it will break down in the water or anything, but it will help on the soap scum/hard water.

I found at the Lowes last night they sell marble fairings at 2" x36" in white, beige, and black and bought some liquid nail glue that is made for tile/ceramic.

I hope to paint tonight as I primed last night and work on the shelf frame this weekend..

No questions today, you all get a break!

Jay

Do we get a pic of Jay's screwup carpentry or do we wait for more so we can vote on our favorite ?

:)

(all mine are in another house , can't take pics now)

Just a quick post to say my shower/bathtub is moving along. I had to take almost 2 weeks off while I was away on Business and due to a family emergency, but I am happy to say that I have tiled the entire shower surround area except for the bullnose tile around an octogon shaped window. (I need more bullnose tile) and the tile that is on my hot water tap. I need to borrow a friend's diamond bit hole saw. I was going to buy one at Lowes until I saw the pricetag... $44 for the bit... Egad. I managed to tile every other plumbing fixture on a tile end, except for the hot water tap.

Then after that, I shall silicone the tile/tub gap and the soap dishes, etc. and then I start the grout.... But happily it is moving along and coming out pretty good for an amateur like myself.

Jay

Ha, I'll try to take some pics, but I guess I have been pretty busy with the work. I still need to clean out my wood stove for the season and sweep the chimney!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.