Jetstream rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaperM

Dec 31, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hi,I am a new member .A lot of good information on these forums .I have been heating with a Jetstream boiler for 19 years,800 gal.storage,2000sq.ft.house.I burn 4-5 cords mixed,soft &hardwood.I was wondering if anyone has information on the building of tunnels or the refractory for these furnaces.

Yes I'm passionate about the Jetstream unit #528 which has over 30+ years of service.
IMGP3332.JPG
Refractory base repair in process. After your last fire the base needs 2 weeks minimum to cool before repairs can begin .
IMGP3334.JPG
Settling chamber with modification , and new air injection tube.
IMGP3371.JPG

New refractory liner
IMGP4009.JPG

Tunnels.

IMGP3938.JPG
This is my spare #175 new and never yet fired ! I had a third but my family laid down the law and said 2 was enough.

Send question and I will do my best to answer.

Great pictures,I will check over some of your information from earlier . That # 175 was quite a find.I bought my Jetstream 02/28/94 $1695 from Kerr the last one on the floor #798 .I overhauled my Jetstream with a new refactory,top pan and repaired air tube 4 years ago.Built masonary blocks for end off tunnel.I will try build a mold for tunnels in the next few days.These furnaces are very efficent,with no worry of flue fires.I had a Kerr Scotty hot air wood furnace before Jetstreamcom and changed to radiation baseboard.I have been burning some dead Juniper the last few weeks,seems a lot of mature trees have died around here.Winter settled in here early this year,- 11 with lots of wind today.

Last edited:
Great pictures,I will check over some of your information from earlier . That # 175 was quite a find,and looks new.I bought my Jetstream 02/28/94 $1695 from Kerr the last one on the floor #798 .I overhauled my Jetstream with a new refactory,top pan and repaired air tube 4 years ago.Built masonary blocks for end off tunnel.I will try build a mold for tunnels in the next few days.These furnaces are very efficent,with no worry of flue fires.I had a Kerr Scotty hot air wood furnace before Jetstreamcom and changed to radiation baseboard.I have been burning some dead Juniper the last few weeks,seems a lot of mature trees have died around here.Winter settled in here early this year,- 11 with lots of wind today.

If you have pictures from the overhaul , post them as they are always appreciated !

Cold wolly day out there,-12 and white outs.I have no pictures of the rebuild 4 years ago.Refractory was in bad shape,top pan corroded in places,and blower tube end gone at combustion chamber,yes this area of refractory should be built stronger There was no matiance other than tunnels and end blocks done in 15 years.I Will pick up some stainless wire and refractory cement for tunnels next week.I will posts some pictures then.

Cold wolly day out there,-12 and white outs.I have no pictures of the rebuild 4 years ago.Refractory was in bad shape,top pan corroded in places,and blower tube end gone at combustion chamber,yes this area of refractory should be built stronger There was no matiance other than tunnels and end blocks done in 15 years.I Will pick up some stainless wire and refractory cement for tunnels next week.I will posts some pictures then.

Its going to hit a low of -3C tonight but I understand they are still playing golf!

IMGP3334.JPG
I strengthened the area between the burn chamber and the settling area.

IMGP4128.JPG
The end of the injection tube needs to be recessed on one side to give a swirling action of the air into the burn chamber.
Picture of the tube end on unit 175 .

Put some pictures up.Took forms of the tunnel this evening,quite pleased how it turned out.I used 3/4 pine,3/4 plywood and 1/2 plywood for forms screwed together.The cement side can be tuck taped as being built.The inside form is removed first and built slightly tapered so it will slide out after it is poured.These forms can be reused again.Looks like we are going to see some warmer weather soon,we need a break.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 196
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 184
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 196
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 167
Do you have a good refractory curing procedure?
Let it slowly air cure for a week then oven dry, then low fire and finally high fire?

Thanks.I have lots of experince building forms,but no experince curing these.I have cast a small block for the back of this furnace 4 years ago.I will let the tunnel cure slowly as you say.

Nice project - what part of the province are you in, what are you using for refractory materials, and where are you getting it? I've got a spare set for mine that I'm hoping will remain as spares for a long time - but will no doubt be trying casting something when I have to replace what's in it now.

Hi,fellow Nova ScotianI.I live in Judique area,along west coast off thee island Cape Breton.What part of Nova Scotia are you from?Refactory cement can be bought at Shaws or Kerr in Truro at 50 lb.bag.Stainless wire,tuck tape,screws,and wood at most large hardware stores.Casting is fairly easy when you have your form built

Last edited:
I'm not usually by Truro when Kerr is open - but I'll watch my chances and also keep my eyes open, might get some 'for later' if I run across some. Do they carry more than one kind? Is there a specific thing to look for, or is it all mostly the same stuff?

I'm on the other end of NS, but my kids are 50% Caper, and one of them is scheduled to be at Cabot next weekend for a basketball tournament. That's hinging on the weather - not a drive we want to do if it's iffy.

Too bad Kerr didn't keep up with the Jetstream - they were a bit ahead of their time I think.

Thanks.I have lots of experince building forms,but no experince curing these.I have cast a small block for the back of this furnace 4 years ago.I will let the tunnel cure slowly as you say.
I'm not an expert either. We recently repaired some refractory for our steam boilers and the manufacturer specified a detailed curing schedule.
I just know that you don't want trapped moisture to crack or explode the new refractory.

This cement Plico Tuff Mix is what I used,added stainless wire at 1" lengts and water to the mix.Time will tell if it is tuff enough.The curing process would be very important also. The Jet Stream is still one of the most efficient wood furnaces ever built.When oil prices went back down in 80's lead to it's demise.Weather here now up to +4 and looks good all week,nice brake from the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Put some pictures up.Took forms of the tunnel this evening,quite pleased how it turned out.I used 3/4 pine,3/4 plywood and 1/2 plywood for forms screwed together.The cement side can be tuck taped as being built.The inside form is removed first and built slightly tapered so it will slide out after it is poured.These forms can be reused again.Looks like we are going to see some warmer weather soon,we need a break.

Like your form. Very simple and very reusable.

I wanted to build the form so I could make more tunnels.My main refactory is 4 years, furnace 19 years old so maybe I can coaks another 7-10 years out of the old girl.I see now that my cast iron door is wearing on the hinge stops.It does not stay vertical when opened, will have to be built up with some weld.Nice morning temp.+8 ,snow and ice melting.

Status
Not open for further replies.