John Siegenthaler article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Reactions: sloeffle
Great article, thanks for sharing it. I am currently retrofitting my house for some underfloor radiant heat and John Siegenthaler articles and videos online have been my go to source for information on the subject

Great article, thanks for sharing it. I am currently retrofitting my house for some underfloor radiant heat and John Siegenthaler articles and videos online have been my go to source for information on the subject
Have yout taken the free course that NYSERDA paid John to create?. Worth spending the time https://www.heatspring.com/courses/hydronics-for-high-efficiency-biomass-boilers. This one is free. The paid course is a lot more intensive (like a college course) its got good info but expect a bit much for many.

One thing to be aware of is that John is actually a fan of radiant wall and ceiling panels over radiant floors. If you see his rational it may convince you to leave the tubes out of the floor if you have walls open. Students in the paid course get to use his software which is great design tool that gets rid of a lot of guessing.

Reactions: unimog1300
Another great share peakbagger I'm gonna save this course to check it out. I am aware of John's views on ceiling and wall radiant panels, and while I found it an interesting read , I live in a log home that I built 35 years ago so my floor radiant is a retrofit for the original baseboard system on my 1st floor . The basement is the only access I have for this retrofit . I finished loop #1 under the kitchen floor a few days ago and am curently doing testing looking for that sweet spot of comfort vs BTU preservation. A bit of history, I have been running an Econoburn 100 boiler since 2009 , currently in an outbuilding with 500 gallons of storage. My biggest surprise with the new radiant system is that it "sips" BTU's from storage , from the "gulping" I am used too from the 180 deg water required for standard baseboard for house loads. John S. is always talking up low temp heat emitters now I see why. Next loop on the project is the dining room so I've got to get to drilling. I was a purist when building my house and used logs for floor joists so the drilling for my PEX-AL-PEX is a bit of a chore , in hindsight dimensional joists would have made it easier , but who knew I'd be doing this 35 years down the road. Thanks again for the info. you have provided to the forum. Bruce

Reactions: sloeffle
Not a problem, you are probably paying for the NYSRDA course somehow in your taxes or power bills ;)

If I do not build a new house, I will probably do some significant upgrades on my house and on the list is low temp emitters of some sort.