Joining ends of door gasket together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi Everyone,

I’m going to replace my door gasket before the season starts up for us. Current door gasket is 8 years old and very hard and compressed in areas.

I feel pretty confident in doing it for the first time, but I had a question about how to join the two ends of the gasket together. The OEM that is on there now has the ends wrapped together - which I won’t be doing.

Is it better / easier to bring the ends together in straight line right into each other or to meet in a corner and where they would meet perpendicularly?

I’m also planning on joining the ends near the bottom corner near the hinge where the pressure will be tighter so the ends are squeezed a little tighter into each other than if they met near the latch.

Does that seem like a good plan?

539FFA24-5263-4608-A510-8C5F6375E245.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up butting the ends together intending to get them on the hinge side. Of course I did a mind fart and starting putting it in so they would meet on the latch side…<>

I really wanted to pull it out and start over but I figured I would just end up making a mess of things. It seemed to come out pretty well though and the join area is pretty good for now.

I’m glad I changed it. Was on the fence about whether I really needed it because I always passed the dollar bill test. The old gasket came out clean just by a very gentle tug. There was only a four inch area where there was any cement stuck to the door where I actually pulled on the gasket to get it out. Other than that the door was pristine and clean. All the cement came out with the gasket.

did you use rtv? was the previous gasket installed with rtv? I suspect that RTV, once heated for seasons of burning, will get more dry and crumbly instead of gummy.

Reactions: Hobbler
did you use rtv? was the previous gasket installed with rtv? I suspect that RTV, once heated for seasons of burning, will get more dry and crumbly instead of gummy.
Not sure about the original since that was put on by the manufacturer / installer. Early on I spilled some water on the top of the stove while burning and the gasket came detached during a reload but seemed fine after it dried out. So I think it was somewhat water soluble.

For the new gasket I used this.

Edit:

Found my thread on my prior gasket misadventure.