Jotul 200 symptoms keep changing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnH

This is our second season with Jotul GF 200 DV IPI as main heat for our lakeside cabin. Last winter it worked like a champ, faithfully following the commands of the thermostat. All winter it was set at CPI/ON, which from recent reading I see might have meant that it should not have followed thermostat, but nevertheless it did.

This fall, not so much, and our experience has not been consistent. At first, the burner would not fire, while the pilot cycled through ignition and burning for 20 seconds and then turning itself off (same behavior under CPI and IPI). The next morning, when turned ON, it fired right up, the burner flame very good (like last year) and warmed the house nicely. But it didn't turn off (neither on CPI or IPI it didn't turn off). But after being turned off with the switch to the OFF position, I could put the switch back to ON, and (on IPI) it would stay off until the thermostat told it to turn on, which it did, but again wouldn't turn off in response to the thermostat. Now however it is back to not burning the main burner, but the pilot cycling off.

I rule out thermostat problem by multimeter reading (at the terminals on the Jotul thermostat block) open circuit when temp above thermostat setting and closed circuit with temp below setting. I'm willing to try jumping other terminals to diagnose, and have read posts about thermistors and other parts. But can someone give me a few sentence explanation of how it is supposed to work? From the diagram in the manual, I get that there is a sense electrode near the pilot light, which presumably must report ignition temperature before the main burner will fire, but there is a lot more there that I don't understand, and don't have any idea even how to find out if that sense electrode is now not working (obviously it was working when the main burner was burning for us).

BTW, the nearest Jotul dealer has scheduled a technician to service us on December 15 at 3:00, which is somewhat cold comfort. I'd like to resolve if possible before that. At this point, I'd be glad just to get back to have it run and never stop (I could control house temperature manually with the valve control). But I'd like to start with how it should work, and then go into the multimeter readings/and jumping contacts to identify a specific part to replace or other fix needed.

Use your multimeter - set to vDC & WITH THE PILOT BURNING, take a reading across the TH-TP (or TP-TH) & the TP terminals.
you should get a reading of somewhere in the area of 550mV & it should hold fairly steady...
Turn the BURNER ON & read across the same terminals. You should get somewhere around 200 - 220mV, again holding steady.
Report back with your readings...

DAKSY I believe he has an IPI stove. I'd clean the pilot sensor and sparkler. Disconnect power and battery for over 2 minutes. Repower. With burner off I'd put the stove back into CPI mode. Then try turning it on in off. Then try T stat mode. There are more voltage tests to perform on the valve after these steps. Make sure pilot flame is hitting the sensor, make sure glass is tight, make sure venting looks ok. I honestly have never seen this stove. I work on plenty of 200 DV standing pilots, and 300DV IPI but never the 200DV IPI.

DAKSY I believe he has an IPI stove. I'd clean the pilot sensor and sparkler. Disconnect power and battery for over 2 minutes. Repower. With burner off I'd put the stove back into CPI mode. Then try turning it on in off. Then try T stat mode. There are more voltage tests to perform on the valve after these steps. Make sure pilot flame is hitting the sensor, make sure glass is tight, make sure venting looks ok. I honestly have never seen this stove. I work on plenty of 200 DV standing pilots, and 300DV IPI but never the 200DV IPI.

You're ahead of me, Millbilly. The Jotul IPI units were just coming onto the market as I was ending my hearth career., back in 2010 - 2011...
I will bow to your expertise...

Thanks for your advice DAKSY and Millbilly. The new situation is that when I turn it on (IPI/ON), the pilot lights, then the main burner lights and works for about 20 minutes then turns off (before temp gets up to set point). It just turned off, so when it has cooled, I will remove the glass and the log set which is over the pilot, then clean the two electrodes next to the pilot.

In this case, clean means gently wire brush or lightly sandpaper, is that right?

Then I will go from there and report back. My multimeter most sensitive scale is 0-2.5vDC, so I'm not sure how accurately I will be able to read in the 200-500 millivolt range, but we'll see.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your advice DAKSY and Millbilly. The new situation is that when I turn it on (IPI/ON), the pilot lights, then the main burner lights and works for about 20 minutes then turns off (before temp gets up to set point). It just turned off, so when it has cooled, I will remove the glass and the log set which is over the pilot, then clean the two electrodes next to the pilot.

In this case, clean means gently wire brush or lightly sandpaper, is that right?

Then I will go from there and report back. My multimeter most sensitive scale is 0-2.5vDC, so I'm not sure how accurately I will be able to read in the 200-500 millivolt range, but we'll see.

Thanks again.
So a few hours ago I cleaned the electrodes and generally vacuumed the firebox, including the holes the gas flames from, and controls underneath. Checked the air supply and exhaust pathways, and cleaned and carefully seated the glass cover. There was no obvious corrosion or significant blockage, but when done, it looked generally cleaner and ready for prime-time. And now, we have been through one complete cycle of working correctly (started it up, it stayed lit until temp reached set point, turned itself off by thermostat, and turned itself back on when temp came back down to set point. !! It appears to be working now -- thank you Millbilly and DAKSY for your help.

Reactions: DAKSY