Jotul 3 best burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
My Jotul 3cb continues to almost, but not quite, comfortably heat all of my 1900 square ft. open-floor-plan two story. I'm happy with the stove and understand its limits, but I've gotten conflicting neighborly advice on how to heat best. My chimney is 25' straight shot double walled pipe. Some say install an in-flue damper because given the strong draft much too much heat is going up the chimney, others say the system is already well tuned and about efficient as it's going to be, don't mess with a good system and that any in-flue gadget will only encourage creosote and/or other problems. I had the chimney swept in the fall and the sweep said he found not a bit of creosote only soot. Like everyone I want to get the most heat out of my stove that I can. What do you think. I remain open to all ideas.

We had the 3CB on a shorter 15', straight up stack. There was a damper already in from the previous 602 installation. I found the damper useful in extending the burns a little bit (maybe 30 minutes?) and keeping a bit less heat going up the stack. We burned dry wood and never had anything but minor creosote accumulations in this flue.

If you heated 1900 sq. ft. here in Virginia the last two bone chilling nights with a F3CB you just keep doing what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.