Jotul 3 vent free gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Farmwife68*

Apr 4, 2018
Kentucky
Hello, I plan to purchase an older Jøtul 3, vent-free gas stove. Have talked with the seller, and it was in a home his mother purchased, but was replaced with gas logs/fireplace several years ago. He has stored it in his home. Will sell for 500.00.
Can you please share your experience with the vent free Jøtul; are there fumes when using it with natural gas?
We have a wood burning Jøtul CB3, and absolutely love it. I would really appreciate any feedback on these ventless gas stoves, as I am excited about having another Jøtul, but hope to prevent fumes in the house. Is this a good deal?
Thanks so much.

There are smells & for every 100,000 BTU of gas you burn (about 4 hrs worth) you will put ONE GALLON of water vapor into the room the stove is burning in. If you have pets, the hair & dander will also be burnt & you will smell them. If you spray any aerosols in the room, those products may burn & give off odors as well. If you have a poorly insulated, airy home, maybe a Room Vented heating unit is ok. If your home is well insulated & tight, I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: Oldcoldstonehouse
There are smells & for every 100,000 BTU of gas you burn (about 4 hrs worth) you will put ONE GALLON of water vapor into the room the stove is burning in. If you have pets, the hair & dander will also be burnt & you will smell them. If you spray any aerosols in the room, those products may burn & give off odors as well. If you have a poorly insulated, airy home, maybe a Room Vented heating unit is ok. If your home is well insulated & tight, I wouldn't recommend it.
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate the helpful feedback.