Jotul 45 - How do you clean the flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ridemgis

Feeling the Heat
Any Jotul F45 owners out there using a soot eater to do bottom up chimney cleaning? Looks like you have to remove the entire baffle assembly and blanket to get in there. If true, how big a job is it?
Thanks,
Paul

My stove is in a corner install with a visible pipe above it before it exits 90* out a wall. The top of the stove is also free to maneuver. With my setup I remove the pipe above it and clean it out in sections. Then the outside chimney is accessible via a T clean out that I clean the rest from.

Removing the top of the stove makes the whole process easy and may be the only way to clean above the manifold. If you don't have access to remove the top plate then you can look into fitting a flexible hose up through the firebox (in the front) to clean out the fly ash and soot that falls from the chimney but you won't be able to fully clean it out.

Hi Ridemgis, long time reader and registered because I have info on your question. I have an F55, sibling of F45. It’s set up to top vent about three feet up then 90 degrees into chimney. I just remove the stove pipe section(s) , take outside to clean, then either brush from top or with soot eater through thimble. I just vacuum out the small amount that’s inside the stove connection, easy peasey. No need to remove top, etc, though I’ve read here that’s in the manual. I think that’s if your chimney goes straight up from the stove with no removable part, and you clean through the stove itself. Hope this helps!

Todd should be chiming in here soon.

My F45 is vented straight up about 22’. There is a sliding expanding section of pipe that is connected to the flue collar. When sweeping I remove the screws and slide the pipe up about a foot or so, attach a plastic garbage bag to the pipe with painters tape and the sweeping rods are inserted and connected up through the bag. No need to remove the top, when your done sweeping just vacuum the top of baffle through the flue collar.

My F45 is vented straight up about 22’. There is a sliding expanding section of pipe that is connected to the flue collar. When sweeping I remove the screws and slide the pipe up about a foot or so, attach a plastic garbage bag to the pipe with painters tape and the sweeping rods are inserted and connected up through the bag. No need to remove the top, when your done sweeping just vacuum the top of baffle through the flue collar.
And that sounds like the winner! Thanks Todd.

Reactions: Todd
Your Sig says you have a Hearthstone Heritage, did you swap it out for an F45? How do you like it?