Jotul 500 facelift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Hi all,

My dealer informed me of the facelift on the Jotul 500. Has anyone noticed?

Do you know if anything else has changed?

I was planning to take my current Jotul 500 with me to my new house, but we ended up including it in the house sale.

They are offering it in a clean face version now. I personally think it looks silly without the gothic arches over the glass. Otherwise, there’s been no changes that I’m aware of. Except big price increases!

VC/HHT offers two options in their Defiant and Encore also---decorative grill or without.
Is BK next ? >>

I copied an image of the new stove above. Compare it to my avatar image. There are now fewer arches and the ribs on the ash pan door seem to be gone.

Chris
48766.png

They did the same thing with the Alderlea series too. I definitely prefer the older look in both stoves.

Reactions: webby3650
I guess when they raise the price so much they’ve got to do some type of change...
Now, if they would only improve the safety barrier screens on their gas stoves! They are so hideous!

I guess when they raise the price so much they’ve got to do some type of change...
Smart move on their part I guess. Less metal for more money.

I’ve always been a big Jotul fan. But I really feel like they are being left behind in all the advancement. Not really any new products, or advancements to speak of. Still a high quality product, no doubt! I’d just like to see something new from them.

Me too. Most of their new stoves are modern room heaters for the European market.

Small stoves are a shoe in, big stoves mean big problems as long the EPA strong arms the market. I assume that’s why there are laying low. Probably a good financial move at the present time. It’s sad...

I copied an image of the new stove above. Compare it to my avatar image. There are now fewer arches and the ribs on the ash pan door seem to be gone.

Chris
View attachment 228359

Yup - That's pretty much it. From digging back through old on-line brochures, etc. it looks like 2016 is when they reduced the number of arches, got rid of the "ribs" on the ash pan door, and also reduced the arches detailing on the loading door and the right side to match the new arches on the front.

I really like the look of the fewer arches myself, but sort of wish they had left the ribs on the ash door. When I was shopping for mine, I really surprised myself that I didn't get the CF model (Clean Face) - I thought I'd go that way, but found that I really liked the "structure" of the arches and didn't detract from the fire view, but enhanced it.

Not trying to change the topic in this thread but since we are discussing jotul Oslo here.Can someone please tell me if the lip of the vermiculite baffle should be facing forward or toward the back?
I bought a used Oslo and it just seems like the lip should be on the rear of the stove.

Not trying to change the topic in this thread but since we are discussing jotul Oslo here.Can someone please tell me if the lip of the vermiculite baffle should be facing forward or toward the back?
I bought a used Oslo and it just seems like the lip should be on the rear of the stove.

I've attached a picture from the Oslo 500 manual - as they say a picture can be worth a 1,000 words. You'll see how it sort of "hooks" over the back baffle as webby3650 said.

Attachments

• jotul baffle.JPG
    jotul baffle.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 270
I’ve always been a big Jotul fan. But I really feel like they are being left behind in all the advancement. Not really any new products, or advancements to speak of. Still a high quality product, no doubt! I’d just like to see something new from them.

Me too. Most of their new stoves are modern room heaters for the European market.

New is not always better in any product. Jotul has had a quality line for decades--simple, reliable, attractive. Begreen's 602 is by far the most used stove in the world.....still. There is a place for a older product that does its job well and simply like a Cessna 172 or a Stihl 009.

European homes are much different from our. Their heating culture is not what we are accustomed to. Northern European home are smaller, they tend to heat only living areas where they spend time, NOT bedrooms or little use areas such as our dining rooms. We have gotten acclimated to heating whole large homes 24/7 with central heat.
Firewood is not a commodity as it is here since most of the land has been long deforested for generations. Also is expensive except in rare rural, forested areas in Scandinavia.

New is not always better in any product. Jotul has had a quality line for decades--simple, reliable, attractive. Begreen's 602 is by far the most used stove in the world.....still. There is a place for a older product that does its job well and simply like a Cessna 172 or a Stihl 009.

European homes are much different from our. Their heating culture is not what we are accustomed to. Northern European home are smaller, they tend to heat only living areas where they spend time, NOT bedrooms or little use areas such as our dining rooms. We have gotten acclimated to heating whole large homes 24/7 with central heat.
Firewood is not a commodity as it is here since most of the land has been long deforested for generations. Also is expensive except in rare rural, forested areas in Scandinavia.
As you know, I’m not immediately sold on new, particularly “New and improved”... I’ve had probably had close to 10 different Jotuls, I loved them. Although the Oslo was the messiest stove for us to date, both of them ::-) I preferred the 118 over any of them. But I’m a stove guy, I like innovative and look forward to seeing the new products at the trade show each spring. Jotul has nothing new and doesn’t even display at times, but yet increases their prices more than others. ? Give me something to be excited about!

Not touting new as necessarily the best. Just pointing out that Jotul continues to develop cool new stoves. These stoves burn cleaner (way cleaner than the F602) and offer some nice options. If one is looking for something close to an open fire, this model looks pretty appealing. It has an exceptionally nice fireview. And my guess is that it will burn longer than the F602 too.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 6.43.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Being afan of the older Oslo look, I think the present single arch in the front door looks inadequate- Depending on where you live too so the look matters, in rural CT, we sold many many more classic Oslos than the new Clean Face model. Go towards the cities, I'm told more CF models get sold, I wonder. I hope Jotul will come through the new changes, hard to believe a company that's been around since 1853 won't continue to keep folks warm, I sure hope so. Colors are changing again, some of the Majolica brown models are being dropped. My favorite blue black though lives on... I hope it never leaves us... EDIT Only brown color is going, not any of the models,,,

Last edited: