Jotul 550 insert sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I’ve had my 550 for 10 years now and for the majority of those years have done my own sweeping. It’s pretty straightforward, but I don’t look forward to the removal of the cast iron baffle and secondary air tubes. I’ll probably just bite the bullet once again, and do what I Gotta do this year to sweep out the liner, but I was curious if anybody has figured out any little tips to collect the soot from the liner after sweeping without having to remove the baffles. I realize that there would be some sort that was left over on top of the baffle, but I would imagine if those skamol panels were shifted out of the way to some degree, someone could remove the majority of the fallen soot off in that area. Just curious.

I’ve had my 550 for 10 years now and for the majority of those years have done my own sweeping. It’s pretty straightforward, but I don’t look forward to the removal of the cast iron baffle and secondary air tubes. I’ll probably just bite the bullet once again, and do what I Gotta do this year to sweep out the liner, but I was curious if anybody has figured out any little tips to collect the soot from the liner after sweeping without having to remove the baffles. I realize that there would be some sort that was left over on top of the baffle, but I would imagine if those skamol panels were shifted out of the way to some degree, someone could remove the majority of the fallen soot off in that area. Just curious.
Not sure on your setup but do you have room to disconnect the pipe and use the taped trash bag and sweep up method?

What about removing the top of the stove after sweeping?

Not sure on your setup but do you have room to disconnect the pipe and use the taped trash bag and sweep up method?

What about removing the top of the stove after sweeping?
Nope- the 550 is an insert. Can’t do either of those things.