Jotul 602 leaking smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Radiance88

Sep 22, 2023
Idaho
We have the new EPA Jotul 602 for our 20 ft Mongolian yurt. We’ve run it for three seasons, two of them in the mountains of Idaho where it’s cold enough to run for 8 months straight. Last winter we started having an issue where smoke would chug out from the back (we are top vented). It seemed to come out from behind the heat shield possibly but it was also difficult to pin point. Once the fire was going this stopped, but it did make it difficult to start, and that’s frustrating when it’s 10 degrees inside.

Any ideas? Makes me think there may be a crack, since it didn’t happen for the first 2 winters. If that’s the case any guidance? I was supposed to take care of this over the summer but didn’t and now fire season is about to start!

The smoke is probably coming out of the secondary air hole that’s behind the rear heat shield.

Are your chimney and cap clean?

The smoke is probably coming out of the secondary air hole that’s behind the rear heat shield.

Are your chimney and cap clean?
The chimney is mostly clear, there may be a millimeter or two, but nothing thick. I haven’t looked at the cap, but it’s only been one winter since I’ve last seen it.

The secondary air hole… do you mean the rear option for venting? Shouldn’t it be sealed?

The chimney is mostly clear, there may be a millimeter or two, but nothing thick. I haven’t looked at the cap, but it’s only been one winter since I’ve last seen it.

The secondary air hole… do you mean the rear option for venting? Shouldn’t it be sealed?
Check your cap a whole season is plenty to clog a cap. And no the stove is not sealed if the draft isn't strong enough smoke will leak out lots of places.

Also how dry is your wood?

There is about an 1x2” unregulated secondary air hole on the bottom of the back of the stove. This feeds secondary air to your baffle. If your draft is bad for some reason that would be a likely place for smoke to spill.

Does your chimney cap have a screen? Sometimes birds or even bees can make nests.

Reactions: Radiance88
Check your cap a whole season is plenty to clog a cap. And no the stove is not sealed if the draft isn't strong enough smoke will leak out lots of places.

Also how dry is your wood?
okay we will check it. The wood is very dry, well seasoned and our climate is quite dry as well.

I read somewhere to use a flashlight at night to see if there’s gaps, is that a good idea or are there naturally some spaces where light would get through?

Can you go up and remove the cap or at least get a good eyeball and/or camera close to it?