Jotul 8 > Firelight 12

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scottgen20

Feb 15, 2006
Lower Saucon, PA
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all keeping safe during these crazy times!

Wanted to bounce something off of the group. I've been running a 1984 1st generation Jotul 8 for the last several years. It's been a great stove, it's beautiful (red enamel) and hasn't given me any problems. I can load it up before bed on a nice hot bed of coals, damp it down and I have enough coals in the morning to get it going again very quickly. It's also super easy to get up to temperature from a cold start. I have double wall chimney down to the stove connector and it stays surprisingly clean - literally no creosote and each cleaning results in just some fine dust. Looking out at the chimney I rarely see any smoke.. Not sure if I have the perfect combination of chimney and installation but it's been a good stove.

My only real complaint about the stove is that on a hot reload if not done properly it can spit some embers out of the draft wheel openings. Doesn't happen often but something that needs to be monitored. Also, while the firebox is a good size (since there are no burn tubes, etc), I have more than once had to jockey a split out that didn't quite fit and run it out of the house. If my Jotul 8 could handle a 24" split I'd keep it forever!

That leads me to my question. I have come across two Firelight 12's which have been rebuilt and appear to be in very good condition. I've not seen them in person as of yet and if I were to seriously consider one of them, I'd look them over, paying special attention to the cat housing and associated hardware. The Firelights have caught my eye for a few reasons. The first is the look of the stove. It would be front and center in my living room and I think the design of the stove is perfect. I also love the huge viewing windows, I like the double door design, and also the top loading/foot pedal design, as well. I've looked through the forums and I am finding posts which give accolades to the original Firelight 12, both from users and anecdotal praise from Jotul techs. I've also found posts from users complaining about the cat chamber falling apart and the high cost of repairs.

In addition to my Jotul 8, I've also run burn tube stoves in the past. I've not ever run a cat stove and I've read the plusses and minuses, I realize that it wouldn't be as straightforward as using my Jotul 8 but I don't see why if run properly, a cat would be an issue.

I've thought about a brand new stove as well but again, I really like the look of the Firelight and if it could be had for half the price of a brand new stove, I'm wondering if it's worth a chance. Attaching pics of my current (red enamel) 8 and one of the prospective black Firelight, just for reference.

Appreciate thoughts and opinions!
Scott

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 1.59.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 1.59.04 AM.png
    863.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 1.59.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 1.59.35 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 2.00.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 2.00.06 AM.png
    926.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 2.00.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 2.00.44 AM.png
    962.7 KB · Views: 169
I would pass. The original 8 is a very simple stove. The Firelight 12 is a magnitude more complicated. Look for a Jotul F400 in good condition. It has modern, clean secondary burning, but is still a simple stove that is easy to maintain. It will take a longer log (20"). This is what replaced the 8. The F400 Castine will burn cleaner, with a great fire show.

Or break out of the Jotul line. There are other good looking stoves out there too. Do the research here and feel free to ask questions if you come across a good buy.

In the used market, be on the lookout for a Jotul F400 or F500, Hampton H300, Quadrafire Explorer II, Hearthstone Shelburne.

In new stoves, look at the Jotul F45, Hearthstone Shelburne and the Pacific Energy T5. These two stoves are deeper and can load N/S up to 18" wood. Both are good heaters.

Thank you sir, just what I needed to hear. I do love my 8 so I'll want to replace it with something that is just as reliable. Outside of sometimes jockeying in a large split, it rarely disappoints.

There is a Quad Explorer II relatively close, they are asking 1K for the stove, looks to be in pretty good shape. Not sure if it's a fair price, based on the invoice it looks to have been put into service in Oct of 2016. Pics attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 3.48.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 3.48.41 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 3.49.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 3.49.06 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
That's a good price and it looks to be in nice condition from the pics. It will burn less fuel than the old 8 and will provide a better fire view. The operation will be a bit different with secondary combustion, but most folks that have been burning for a while pick it up quickly.