Jotul 8 with side bolts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2018
Sierra Foothills
Mod Edit: Moved to new thread

Hi everyone! Sorry to jump on an old thread, but I also have a Jotul #8 that I recently had to replace the back cast iron liner for. While doing that replacement I noticed the right side insert had a crack, so I will order that part for next year. The WEIRD thing about my 8 is that is has two bolts through the lower left side that I never paid any mind to until I started looking for the side insert replacements. On the exterior, the bolts and washers match the color perfectly, but on the interior they stick through so much that the left side insert appears to be custom cut to accommodate the two bolts. Why would anyone do this?? I can’t figure it!

554FA86A-E138-4D6D-B2CB-88C1A2DF1EC8.jpeg 480673B7-86BE-4DA9-9C39-1C775772B516.jpeg 02A1356B-91F6-40C6-8150-0F2444A828D7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! Sorry to jump on an old thread, but I also have a Jotul #8 that I recently had to replace the back cast iron liner for. While doing that replacement I noticed the right side insert had a crack, so I will order that part for next year. The WEIRD thing about my 8 is that is has two bolts through the lower left side that I never paid any mind to until I started looking for the side insert replacements. On the exterior, the bolts and washers match the color perfectly, but on the interior they stick through so much that the left side insert appears to be custom cut to accommodate the two bolts. Why would anyone do this?? I can’t figure it!
I never saw anything like that done to one of these before. I can only guess that this stove had some plate warping that caused the side panel to separate from the rest of the stove and they installed these bolts to hold it in place. Or do they just go straight through that panel and make no contact with other parts?

Straight through the panel! On the inside they are bolted, one is visible in the pic and the second one is buried in ash. No signs of cracking or warping that I can see. The house I bought was originally owned by a very handy individual, I just can’t figure what the purpose of this was..... and now if I want to replace the left side insert I need to find someone who can cut cast iron, or learn myself.

Straight through the panel! On the inside they are bolted, one is visible in the pic and the second one is buried in ash. No signs of cracking or warping that I can see. The house I bought was originally owned by a very handy individual, I just can’t figure what the purpose of this was..... and now if I want to replace the left side insert I need to find someone who can cut cast iron, or learn myself.
That is strange. Is that original owner still alive? You should try tracking him/her down and asking. I find unsual constructions (concrete /rock foundations, pipes, etc) in my yard from time to time that I would love to know the story, but have no way of finding out. If you do ever figure it out, let us know!

In my experience, If I get a stove with two holes cut in it at that level, in the back, my thought it someone has water pipes running through it at
one point, and these are just washer covers for the holes. Its a pretty common thing people do out in northern VT where I am.

Well I came back to give and update after contacting the original owner’s son- but Deranged Hermit nailed it! They used it as part of their water heating system- along with some solar water heaters. Deranged Hermit I’m super impressed you figured it :)

Well I came back to give and update after contacting the original owner’s son- but Deranged Hermit nailed it! They used it as part of their water heating system- along with some solar water heaters. Deranged Hermit I’m super impressed you figured it :)
Haha yea, you buy enough of these old vintage stoves, you see all the crazy stuff people did to them back in the day. Hah