Jotul air control level problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodconvert

Minister of Fire
May 24, 2007
Fenton Michigan
For those of you with Jotul stoves that have issues with the sticky air control lever...I had to replace my lever arm as some a-hole broke it by dropping a split on it :long: ...anyhow, went through the hoops of ordering a new one, $65 and 3 weeks later i've got one in my hand. SO, today in these parts it's 45F ish and I decide to shut er' down and replace it. I removed the shutter cover,opened the ash pan, removed the ash pan, removed the lever pivot bolt, cleaned everything up, and went to reinstall the new one.

First problem....the pivot bolt is a M8x1.25. The new part is tapped M6 :mad:
Being good with that kind of stuff and having the stuff to fix it, I drilled and re-tapped the lever (Will call the Jotul tech guy tomorrow and give him the heads up).
Reinstalled with some neversieze (regular stuff..not the copper) and lemme tell ya...I can look at it and it moves, no binding. I don't know how Jotul didn't figure this out sooner but I got the goods:

When they tapped the part, they obviously tapped from one side but did not run the tap all the way through past the lead-in on the tap so it was tapered on the far side. Take it one step further, the thickness of the plating tightened the clearance between the bolt and the lever....HENCE THE BIND!!!!.

If yall got a Jotul with a bind on the air control lever, next chance or break in the weather, remove the pivot stud and lever, run the proper tap through the lever, make sure there are not chips in the threads, reassemble with some neverseize and BAMMMMMMMO.....sticky lever solved!!!!.

(ps...I hope the warm weather i'm getting will get to you folks in the middle of the ice storm....the reports i've seen on that look terrible. Best of luck)

Status
Not open for further replies.