Jotul ash pan gasket (the one not on the door) question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My F50 only has a gasket around the actual door that joins up flush against the ash pan frame. Thanks for the reminder to check it out. Mine is looking a little worse for wear. I wish they would include that 3/8” gasket in the door kit they sell.

View attachment 281959
Huh — that seems weird — a high wear gasket. The F400 kit had it.

image.jpg

-It looks like your ash house gasket (between ash house and stove body) runs long. If that is what I am seeing behind the flat gasket?
I think it was consensus that they did not trim the tail of the ash house gasket. I tried to glue it (made a huge mess when my old tube of high temp RTV blew out the back of the tube.). It did not help my corner seal. I don’t think a really small gap matters that much as I didn’t see much difference in my burning once I added the extra piece. Temp and wind matter way more. Dog house and secondary air even at lowest air setting are probably an order of magnitude larger or more in area.

I am servicing my Jotul F 400 Castine. I inherited it 6 years ago when I bought my house and it was purchased in 2000. 20 years of use he meant a lot of crusty and deteriorating gaskets.

Therefore, I am replacing nearly all the gaskets. This thread has been super helpful as I definitely have had a leak (or leaks in both corners) of the ash pan door and I am trying to resolve then. I reinstalled the ash housing gasket and it is unclear to me whether I should have left a tail on each side for this issue. I do know that my door is misaligned and need to be lifted up on the left hand side when closing, but I am unsure if I also need to go back and make the ash pan housing gasket is longer on both sides. Any input on this?
I have a f500 and feel like my door has a sag to it /misaligned as well when I shut it I pull up slightly maybe 1/4”-1/2”

I have an F400 too and yes I have to lift up a little on the ash pan door to close it well. There is too much play in the hinges. All good though no big deal, you can feel it seat when you lift it and lock it tight.

Reactions: EbS-P