Jotul black enamel touch up suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Manly

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2017
CT
I have a beautiful 20 year old CB3 in black enamel. The finish is excellent except for an area that I should have never tried to touch up. It stared as a small patch below the air intake adjustment. Looked like minor degradation of the finish due to air intake activity. Hardly noticeable. Well I decided to touch it up a couple of years ago with the OEM enamel in the little jar. Wasn’t happy with the result but should have left it as is. Nah, I had to try again. Then I put a quick spray of clear ceramic paint over the area to try to blend it all in. Looked Ok for a while but eventually the area I sprayed turned whiteish from the heat. Bottom line is I should have never messed with it. Question is has anyone tried a small area touch up on this type of finish with a good result as far as looks and durability? The original jotul brush on touch up is ok for smaller nicks but not a good option a larger repair. Some of the specialty high temp stove paints look like an option but not sure about color match. I don’t want to mess the look up more than I already have. Appreciate any input from the Jotul experts.

I don't think it's a Jotul challenge, but just go for repainting the whole thing. Black is very easy and some have nice metallic which comes out great!

I don't think it's a Jotul challenge, but just go for repainting the whole thing. Black is very easy and some have nice metallic which comes out great!
He has an enameled stove not a painted one.

I have a beautiful 20 year old CB3 in black enamel. The finish is excellent except for an area that I should have never tried to touch up. It stared as a small patch below the air intake adjustment. Looked like minor degradation of the finish due to air intake activity. Hardly noticeable. Well I decided to touch it up a couple of years ago with the OEM enamel in the little jar. Wasn’t happy with the result but should have left it as is. Nah, I had to try again. Then I put a quick spray of clear ceramic paint over the area to try to blend it all in. Looked Ok for a while but eventually the area I sprayed turned whiteish from the heat. Bottom line is I should have never messed with it. Question is has anyone tried a small area touch up on this type of finish with a good result as far as looks and durability? The original jotul brush on touch up is ok for smaller nicks but not a good option a larger repair. Some of the specialty high temp stove paints look like an option but not sure about color match. I don’t want to mess the look up more than I already have. Appreciate any input from the Jotul experts.
If you find a solution let us know sorry

He has an enameled stove not a painted one.

If you find a solution let us know sorry
Will do. I don’t want to refinish or paint the entire stove. The enamel is in great condition on the entire stove except the area below the air adjustment. I’ll eventually find a cosmetic fix. Thanks

Maybe this will help.