Jotul C 550 CB Rockland Insert - Blower not working at all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

watson

Dec 8, 2019
Mid Hudson Valley NY
The blower on my Jotul 550 Rockland Insert has stopped working. It was working fine the last time I used it, about one week ago.
Today it won't start at all. It's plugged in, and I checked that there is power at the outlet. The 3 position switch (Auto,Off,Manual)
is set to Manual. which is where I normally have it. When I turn the variable speed knob to on/high, it doesn't start. Rotating the knob
to a lower speed doesn't do anything either. Nor does setting the 3 position switch to Auto, with a hot fire.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Not at all familiar with the unit, but one presumes that it has a fuse and maybe also a thermistor in it.

If the motor doesn't smell burnt, I'd start by suspecting the power cord, the switches, the fuse, and the thermistor.

Follow the power back from the cord to the motor with a multimeter, you'll spot the issue pretty fast.

Love the insert but always felt the switch was cheap.
Check power with a multimeter at the cord end.
Check power at the fan in manual.
Fan could be trashed.

It turns out it was a simple power problem. The power cord was pulled out of the adapter that is behind the trim assembly (by an unnamed family member, when moving around some furniture!). It's impossible to see without removing the trim assembly. And the trim is pretty heavy, so I needed to wait for some help.