Jotul c550 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holtsvillefd69

Dec 9, 2016
Brookhaven
Hello all I am a complete noob to wood burning but have read through these forums and learned quite a lot
For the life of me I can not keep my stove going over nite. I had a full bed of coals last nite put a large split in there and when I wake up in the am the split is still there Un burnt. I had the damper almost half way open any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get the split burning well before turning it down?

What's your wood moisture content on inside face of a freshly split piece?

Does seem like could be your wood having too high a moisture content. With a tube burner, if the wood is dry, it seems most have the opposite problem where you can't turn it down enough.

What's the cubic feet inside the c550? Could be firebox size too limiting your burn times. Cold weather and draft also affect it - making it burn faster. Doesn't sound like your problem though since the wood didn't actually burn.

Try getting some eco bricks or some wood from the store in a bag- kiln dried. If it burns well with that, it's your wood moisture content. Be careful with eco bricks. I've heard they can take off.

Getting a full overnight burn from the 550 is tough due to the relatively small firebox size. If you're very new to wood stoves you may have to adjust your idea of what an overnight burn is. Doesn't mean 10-12 hrs of active flame.

Wood quality (moisture content) is almost always the first thing to consider. Also one split by itself won't burn well. Usually have to have at least two if not three to create a pocket of heat and coal.

Reactions: holtsvillefd69
Status
Not open for further replies.