Jotul C550 Rockland Poor Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevin.mastro

Sep 20, 2022
New Jersey
I am dealing with a Jotul C550 Rockland Insert that I purchased a few years ago and a chimney that when windy outside tends to have backdraft or poor draft. If I have a hot fire I do not have any issues but starting a fire or if the fire has burned down I can get a house full of smoke if an inexperienced person tries to operate the insert. Obviously the chimney effect is not strong in my house and the chimney is positioned on the windy side of the house both are bad decisions by the builder done in 1997 however I am trying to correct the issues. I have done several things to combat the conditions (raised the chimney height by 2 fee, insulated liner, wind resistant cap) but was wondering if there was a kit to draw outside air into my unit. I found this online https://dalsinmfg.com/?s=masons+choice&post_type=product and was wondering if this would work to bring outside air to the back of the unit I have not been able to find something made something specifically made for my model. Aside from opening windows which is counter productive to heating the house, I was hoping you could give me some feedback on my thoughts.

Another thing that can affect the draft is negative pressure in the room. This can be due to air leakage on an upper floor or attic. What floor of the house is the insert located on? How tall is the flue liner?

There is a special cap by Vacu-Stack that is supposed to help with wind-related downdraft issues.

Last edited:
Another thing that can affect the draft is negative pressure in the room. This can be due to air leakage on an upper floor or attic. What floor of the house is the insert located on? How tall is the flue liner?

There is a special cap by Vacu-Stack that is supposed to help with wind-related downdraft issues.
I actually have a vaccustack installed. The liner/chimney is probably 30 feet and it’s on the first floor. My furnace guy is installing fresh air kits on my furnaces which are located in then basement because they also have issues even though they have wind resistant caps as well as draft inducing fans. I have two radon fans and he is suspicious of those being the cause of the negative pressure in the house…

Reactions: begreen
Just a thought.
I have two radon fans and he is suspicious of those being the cause of the negative pressure in the house…
Turn them off an hour prior to your next cold start. Seems like a commonsense approach? Perhaps? Let us know how it works out. Best of luck.

Reactions: begreen
It's worth checking out. Radon fans will create negative pressure. Based on the description, many stoves would be dealing with too high draft in these conditions.

I actually have a vaccustack installed. The liner/chimney is probably 30 feet and it’s on the first floor. My furnace guy is installing fresh air kits on my furnaces which are located in then basement because they also have issues even though they have wind resistant caps as well as draft inducing fans. I have two radon fans and he is suspicious of those being the cause of the negative pressure in the house…
I would start by adding some exterior ventilation to the basement. Do you have central air? If so Where is the air return.

30’of insulated liner is a lot. If power vented appliances are not venting well you have

It’s easy enough to check all the second story ceiling penetrations and caulk them from the inside. How is your attic hatch sealed?

Is there a door to the basement? Sealed is it? Is the basement finished? Any air flow around the door?